Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Nightly Build 2201

Re: Nightly Build 2201

Postby jps on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 am

rchl wrote:Didn't inline search behavior change in the previous build?

I think previously pressing ctrl+i / cmd+i, finding some text and pressing escape left document scrolled in that last found position. Current builds seem to scroll back to the position where inline search was triggered. That drives me nuts.

Yeah, it did change recently. I meant to make the change some time ago, but somehow only did it for Linux at the time. In essence, pressing escape cancels the search, and takes you back to the previous state. Pressing enter will close the panel and keep the selection where it now is.
jps
Site Admin

Postby rchl on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 am

jps wrote:
rchl wrote:Didn't inline search behavior change in the previous build?

I think previously pressing ctrl+i / cmd+i, finding some text and pressing escape left document scrolled in that last found position. Current builds seem to scroll back to the position where inline search was triggered. That drives me nuts.

Yeah, it did change recently. I meant to make the change some time ago, but somehow only did it for Linux at the time. In essence, pressing escape cancels the search, and takes you back to the previous state. Pressing enter will close the panel and keep the selection where it now is.

This makes me go insane because I use ctrl+i and ctrl+f interchangeably and they have different behavior. ctrl+f doesn't scroll back. And behavior when pressing 'enter' is also very different (in inline-search it ends search, in ctrl+f it goes to the next match) so that makes it even worse.

As much as you probably hate to introduce setting for every little thing, I would very match prefer old behavior to be selectable through pref.
rchl

Postby bizoo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:40 am

rchl wrote:This makes me go insane because I use ctrl+i and ctrl+f interchangeably

FWIK, both provide the same functionality and are interchangeable so why not choose the one you prefer and always use the same ?
bizoo

Postby jbjornson on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 pm

rchl wrote:This makes me go insane because I use ctrl+i and ctrl+f interchangeably and they have different behavior.

Good thing they have different shortcuts then!
jbjornson

Postby rchl on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Other situation when this is annoying for me.

1. ctrl+i to find a word
2. Focus document without closing find panel (with ctrl+1 or mouse click)
3. Do work (scroll around, edit)...
4. Eventually press ESC to close the find panel.

Boom. goes back to some random place that you forgot about already
rchl

Postby jps on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:04 pm

rchl: Everything you're asking for is done by the find panel. Perhaps you'd be better served by just rebinding ctrl+i to use the regular find panel.
jps
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion