Sublime Forum

Smooth scrolling using mouse wheel

I’ve never heard of Sublime before, but thanks to a recent Reddit post I decided to give it a try. I particularly like it but I wanted to discuss one thing in particular. The smooth scrolling feature of Sublime is in my opinion, the most irritating thing in terms of usability that I have experienced while trying out Sublime 2.0.

When I say smooth scrolling, I’m talking about the non jumpy delayed scrolling while using the mouse wheel. I’m aware as a programmer mouse input as the bane of efficient development to some people, but it’s still an important feature and for some reason was given special treatment when you use it. The reason I dislike it so much, is that when scrolling the scroll feels extremely laggy and delayed, particularly when moving down larger files. I feel like smooth scrolling should be an opt in feature, not opt out. Which also reminds me that I couldn’t find an option to disable it anywhere, which is irritating.

My last note is that smooth scrolling is not implemented consistently across the editor. This would be perfectly fine if it used the correct usable implementation in the correct places. =\

Ctrl + Arrow keys = Non smooth
Mouse wheel = Smooth
Ctrl + Home/End = Smooth
Dragging file preview = Non smooth

0 Likes

I spoke too soon, and found the option scroll_speed in the configuration. This however, disables smooth scrolling for Home -> End jumping. Perhaps I can suggest two separate settings? Also, my point about opt in and not opt out still stands for mouse scrolling.

0 Likes