Sublime Forum

SmartMarkdown

The plugin is aimed at making editing Markdown in Sublime Text 2 easier and more powerful. Ideally, I hope we can bring several amazing features of Org-mode of Emacs into Sublime Text 2.

It’s available at github:
https://github.com/demon386/SmartMarkdown

I hope people can test its initial functionalities before I submit it to Package Control.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Markdown collapsible headings. Possible new user

Hi,

I’ve long been hoping (not being a programmer myself) that someone would get around to writing the heading folding functionality. Your implementation works quite well from what I can tell from my quick testing.

One feature request: is it possible to preserve the folded state of subheadings? I.e., if I fold and un-fold # then all the ## are folded up, even though some of them might have been unfolded previously. I hope this description makes sense.

Also, the folding functionality doesn’t play very well with the command palette (I mean Ctrl/Command+R). It unfolds everything.

The bullet-complete is missing support for nested lists and blockquotes. I also came across a bug. To reproduce, write this:

* AZ 

Placing the cursor between A and Z and pressing ENTER will generate asterisks without changing the line (on Ubuntu 12.04, ST2 buid 2203).

What kind of thing do you have in mind to do in relation with Pandoc? I have a build system that works with MultiTaskBuild that I’ve been meaning to convert to Sublime’s new variant build system. But other than that I can’t think of any other way to combine the two.

I have read about but not used Org-Mode (I’ve never managed to get into Emacs). What aspects are you interested in porting to Sublime?

Off the top of my head, opening links with ENTER would be a welcome feature for Markdown files. I obviously mean http links, but I would like to see local file support. (I would really like to be able create files that act as indexes to other files.)

I write quite a lot in Markdown and there is, I think, a lot of functionality that would be useful to bring to Sublime. I look forward to the development of this plugin.

Cheers,
Alex

0 Likes

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

1. The bug of bullet can be fixed soon. I will do it now.
  2. The preservation of folded state of subheadings makes sense. But it takes some times to implement.
  3. As to the command palette, it seems to be hard to achieve folding there. I’ll keep an eye on it.
  4. I was a heavy Org-mode user. Current I try to bring some of the features I like most (and I think most people would love them too). The next thing would be Smart Table, which will make editing tables with the editor very easy.
  5. I’m in academia, so being able to type and show math equation is important for me. Pandoc seems to be the most comprehensive Markdown syntax, with some new syntax definitions. In addition to adding functions for building various kinds of formats (HTML, PDF…), it would also make sense to design a Sublime syntax (highlight, etc.) for it.
  6. Org-mode has been open-sourced and developed many years with many people’s effort. I can’t expect to clone everything of it. Right now I just try to bring some of the tings I want with some adaptations and simplifications. Of course, feature requests like yours are very welcomed so that I can decide what must be done with priority.

[quote=“quodlibet”]Hi,

I’ve long been hoping (not being a programmer myself) that someone would get around to writing the heading folding functionality. Your implementation works quite well from what I can tell from my quick testing.

One feature request: is it possible to preserve the folded state of subheadings? I.e., if I fold and un-fold # then all the ## are folded up, even though some of them might have been unfolded previously. I hope this description makes sense.

Also, the folding functionality doesn’t play very well with the command palette (I mean Ctrl/Command+R). It unfolds everything.

The bullet-complete is missing support for nested lists and blockquotes. I also came across a bug. To reproduce, write this:

* AZ 

Placing the cursor between A and Z and pressing ENTER will generate asterisks without changing the line (on Ubuntu 12.04, ST2 buid 2203).

What kind of thing do you have in mind to do in relation with Pandoc? I have a build system that works with MultiTaskBuild that I’ve been meaning to convert to Sublime’s new variant build system. But other than that I can’t think of any other way to combine the two.

I have read about but not used Org-Mode (I’ve never managed to get into Emacs). What aspects are you interested in porting to Sublime?

Off the top of my head, opening links with ENTER would be a welcome feature for Markdown files. I obviously mean http links, but I would like to see local file support. (I would really like to be able create files that act as indexes to other files.)

I write quite a lot in Markdown and there is, I think, a lot of functionality that would be useful to bring to Sublime. I look forward to the development of this plugin.

Cheers,
Alex[/quote]

0 Likes

For the record:

Orgmode for SublimeText: https://bitbucket.org/theblacklion/sublime_orgmode/src

Now I’ll go and try your plugin :smiley:

0 Likes

Yes. I’m aware of the Orgmode plugin; the development seems to be stucked.

I have a different priority in deciding which features to be implemented first. Right now I prefer to make this plugin works under Markdown, instead of migrating Org mode’s syntax into Sublime Text 2.

[quote=“riffito”]For the record:

Orgmode for SublimeText: https://bitbucket.org/theblacklion/sublime_orgmode/src

Now I’ll go and try your plugin :smiley:[/quote]

0 Likes

Thanks for making this plugin. ⇧TAB and TAB is working brilliantly for me when I want to collapse # Heading sections.

0 Likes