Sublime Forum

Problems with cut shortcut... may be bug

when i push “ctrl+x” i lost cursor on editor, using latest xubuntu x64 and sublime text 2 linux x64, what the problem?

0 Likes

view -> show console

There paste and enter this:

sublime.log_commands(True)
Then, just focus the view, select something and press CTRL+X

The output after the selection should be:

command: cut
Maybe you have some package interfering with this action.

0 Likes

writing command: cut, and after lost cursor, side panel and open files

0 Likes

Video of this problem: https://vimeo.com/44958741

0 Likes

Thanks for the video, can you follow these instructions (backing up your data directory first), and let me know if it still occurs? sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html

0 Likes

I’m encountering the same issue. Deleting my ~/.config/sublime-text-2 directory does not resolve the issue.

More details:

• I’m running 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 and XFCE 4.8.0 (the OP was running Xubuntu, which makes me wonder if this is XFCE-related. I can try to reproduce the behavior in Gnome or Fluxbox if that would help narrow it down)
  • I have the latest Sublime 2.0.1 (installed using the instructions here: ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/sublime)

Reliable repro steps on my box:

• rm -r ~/.config/sublime-text-2
  • subl foo.txt
  • type abcdef
  • select “abc” on line 1, ctrl-x
    // the abc line doesn’t disappear at this point, as I’d expect it to
  • place cursor on line 3, ctrl-v
    // line 3 now contains “abc”, line 1 still has “abc”
  • press enter a few times
    // new lines are created as expected, but the cursor doesn’t move - it remains at the beginning of line 3

Let me know if there’s any more info I can provide. I love Sublime and use it on Windows, but my primary development is done in Ubuntu and this funky behavior essentially blocks me from using it every day.

0 Likes

More and more i hear about this issue from peoples who use XFCE.
Well, problem not solved, developers are silent, i go back to vim!

0 Likes

I’m using Sublime on Ubuntu and I’m seeing the same problem. No Sublime expert by any means but I hope I can submit enough information here for the problem to be fixed.

One observation that feels like it could be relevant and important:
The problem is the same if Edit-menu -> Copy is used. This eliminates the problem source of the OS/virtualization messing up keyboard input / modifier keys.

The problem is also the same regardless of amount of text selected or if no text is selected at all.
Edit: Removing .config/sublime-text-2 and reverting to factory default settings doesn’t make any difference.

Sublime 2.0.1, Build 2217, 32-bit, Licensed
Client OS: Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit
Host OS: Windows 7 running VirtualBox

Steps to reproduce cursor problem and restore functionality:

]Place the cursor anywhere in a text file/]
]Press Ctrl-C or Edit-menu -> Copy/]
]Press arrow keys. The text cursor will not move. The shadow to the left marking current line number will move however./]
]Select a window in the host OS (Win7 in my case)/]
]Select the tab in Sublime/Ubuntu again/]
]Press arrow keys. The text cursor is now moving again./]
]Sometimes the host OS window select needs to be repeated./]

This is the output of the Sublime console:
command: move {“by”: “characters”, “forward”: false} (cursor still moving here)
command: move {“by”: “characters”, “extend”: true, “forward”: true} (cursor still moving here)
command: move {“by”: “characters”, “extend”: true, “forward”: true} (cursor still moving here)
command: copy
command: move {“by”: “lines”, “forward”: false} (cursor frozen here at the position before copy)
command: move {“by”: “lines”, “forward”: false} (cursor frozen here)
command: move {“by”: “lines”, “forward”: true} (cursor frozen here)
command: move {“by”: “lines”, “forward”: true} (cursor frozen here)
(switching to host window and back again here)
command: move {“by”: “lines”, “forward”: false} (cursor moving again here)
command: move {“by”: “lines”, “forward”: false} (cursor moving again here)

0 Likes

Another observation:
Switching to Unity 2D at the Ubuntu login screen seems to make the cursor work again.
After switching back again to Unity 3D Sublime still has the cursor working, at least temporarily. Will report back after some extended use if it stays in this state or turns stationary on copy again.

0 Likes

I am having this exact problem on Ubuntu 12.10 with XFCE, it really makes the program hard to use, and Unity 3d is unusable for performance reasons for me.

I would like to see this bug resolved.

0 Likes

+1

Exactly the same problem, Ubuntu 12.10 XFCE, ST2 Build 2217

When you press Ctrl-X, program “thinks” over 5 seconds. More: the cursor is not properly updated (the shadow on the left bar is moving, but | is not). It seems it’s exactly the described problem…

0 Likes

This is also happening to me on Xubuntu 12.10. I just paid full price to register this program and it’s very disappointing to learn that this is a known issue that has been happening for almost half a year and is reproducable without being fixed. I can’t cut text without breaking the stupid thing, yet I am loving all the other amazing new functionality I’ve never had before with any other editor. This is a serious WTF.

And the only so-called support for Sublime Text 2 is posting in a forum, yet there’s direct e-mail for sales? That’s really poor customer service. Really.

0 Likes

I’m unable to replicate this.

Repro attempt:

• Create new VM based on Ubuntu 12.10 i386
  • apt-get install xfce4
  • Login using xfce
  • Download and run Sublime Text 2217. Text is able to be cut without issues.
  • Install and run xfce4-clipman
  • Sublime Text is still able to cut and paste text without issue.
0 Likes

+1

Same issue here, using xfce and ubuntu 12.10 (64bit version)

The cursor stops moving after copy, but just the visually representation of it. When I start typing the letters appears in the expected place, but the cursor itself is still stuck where it was when i copied text.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]I’m unable to replicate this.

Repro attempt:

• Create new VM based on Ubuntu 12.10 i386
    [/quote]

iznogood and I both have the issue on the 64-bit version of Xubuntu. Maybe that is required to replicate. It could be the 64-bit version, or it could be xfce instead of Ubuntu’s bloated window manager.

0 Likes

I’m also having this problem on Ubuntu x64 with XFCE.

0 Likes

In addition, I’m having the same problem (on 64-bit Xubuntu) when I copy/paste.

Do you have a 5-second timer somewhere in your code? Because this looks like a huge clue:

When I copy then paste, then use the arrow keys on the keyboard, the cursor stays put but the highlighting in the left margin moves with the arrow keys. If I type, the text is entered by the highlighted margin, not the cursor. If I take my hands off the keyboard and wait, it looks like after exactly five seconds it will correct itself.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes

I am having the same issue. Linux Mint 13 XFCE 4.10 64bit

Unfortunately it does make Sublime unusable (I am a paid licensee)

Hope it gets fixed soon.

0 Likes

I’ve just e-mailed sales@sublimetext.com requesting a refund, since this bug is being ignored. I e-mailed them weeks ago asking for some support on this and heard nothing in return. Many of us have chimed in on this thread complaining that it makes the product unusable. We’ve explained in detail what environments it doesn’t work on.

I urge all of you affected by this to also request a refund to show them that this issue is important. Why should we throw away money for an unsupported product?

Shawn

0 Likes

I received my refund yesterday, so I’m not going to complain about it anymore.

I’m disappointed that there was no apology, explanation, or even an excuse given. Just a refund notification from PayPal.

I really like Sublime Text 2, and I told several people about it when I first started using it. I really hope they fix it and improve their terrible customer service image. Hopefully I’ll once again be a customer.

0 Likes