Sublime Forum

Bracket matching suggestions

Would it be possible to put those back with a preference-setting?

It would also be nice to selecet how brackets will be highlighted

I’d like to hear what others think :smile:

0 Likes

20080327 Beta

I’ll add it to the list.

I’m more than happy to hear other options for indicating the brackets, I’m not entirely happy with the underlining, but imo it’s the best of a less than ideal lot.

Simply drawing the brackets in a different colour could well be preferable, but I’m not sure of any clear way to derive a reasonable highlight colour that won’t blend into either the foreground or background (both are arbitrary, and different brackets within the one buffer may have different colour combinations).

0 Likes

It would, but I’m not a fan of highlighting via changing the background colour, it’s ugly as sin :slight_smile:

0 Likes

How about using bold to indicate the matching paren? I personally like the underline, though.

I’m also a fan of seeing curlies match, but then I’m a c# developer… squares also.

0 Likes

Cool, I’m glad you guys like it :slight_smile:

With respect to highlighting other brackets, there are two options:

• Highlight the inner most pair of brackets of any enabled type
  • Highlight the closest pair of each type, so there would often be multiple highlights going on

Thoughts?

Also, the current underline colour is a 50% blend of the caret colour and the background colour: I’ll make the ratio configurable, as it makes a big difference to visibility.

String highlighting is an interesting one, as the strings are already highlighted via syntax highlighting, so I don’t imagine you’d get terribly much by adding the underlines. Are there some cases I’m missing here?

0 Likes

Ok, I’m with you now.

Strings are tricky buggers, because there’s no way to tell on open quote from a close quote, except by assuming they’re not allowed to span lines and counting from the beginning. No reason not to support that though, I’ll add em to the list.

0 Likes

I think an addition like this would put sublime one step closer to perfection. As I am currently programming in Haskell i sorely need bracket matching.

Thanks for a great app.

0 Likes

iarkin: Welcome to the forums!

myel / iarkin - there are now options in 20080408 to configure highlighting of square brackets and braces. Take a look at Preferences/File Type Defaults/Default File Type.sublime-options.

0 Likes

Thanks,

it’s impressive how fast suggestions are implemented, i’m really looking forward to 1.05 :smile:.

Any chance that bolded highlighting could be an option too…

[size=50]ah i feel bad for asking for so much features…[/size]

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]iarkin: Welcome to the forums!

myel / iarkin - there are now options in 20080408 to configure highlighting of square brackets and braces. Take a look at Preferences/File Type Defaults/Default File Type.sublime-options.[/quote]

Thank you!

You and the community have done an impressive job so far. This is one app i’ll buy after the trial period is over.

Programming is fun again (even haskell :wink:)

0 Likes