Sublime Forum

Highlight bookmarked lines

First of all, I absolutely adore Sublimetext2, and aside from Visual Studio (for C# ONLY), its pretty much the only edit I will use. One of my favorite features it the Bookmarking; I use it constantly. One thing I would like to be able to do, however, is highlight the background of lines which contain bookmarks. Much like the way the current caret line is highlighted (another feature I love), but using a color specifically for bookmarked lines. It would be great if these showed up in the minimap as well, but even if they didnā€™t, this would still be great.

Now, why did I post this in Plugin Development rather than Ideas & Suggestions? Well, mainly because, as I am a developer, I donā€™t mind putting in the work and making a plugin which does this myself (to be contributed back to the community, of course), but work and family demands mean I donā€™t have time to chase down a rabbit hole only to find out that I would not be able to accomplish this via the plugin API. So how about it? Is this something that I could mod in, or is this something that would have to be implemented at the source level?

0 Likes

You could add a region to the edit and let this region have an outline, like SublimeLinter.

0 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a callback for bookmarking, so youā€™d either have to poll the view to see if the bookmarks have changed or wrap the bookmark commands. Iā€™d recommend the latter method.
What Iā€™d actually recommend, though, is this plugin:
github.com/colinta/SublimeMarkAndMove
It does its own bookmarking and adds some cool features on top. As a bonus, it also draws an outline around your bookmarks. I just changed all the bookmarking shortcuts to use Mark and Move instead of Sublime Textā€™s default bookmarks.
Changing the background color of an entire line (Ć  la caret line highlighting) is unfortunately impossible with Sublime Text 2ā€™s API; you can only change the background color of characters themselves, and then only to colors that are in the current color scheme.

0 Likes

Sections of my code have a different background colour (or effect) across the full width of the view. This appears for css and php blocks within HTML files. How is this created, or is it in-built to ST?

0 Likes

Itā€™s built into your language grammar. If you want to modify the background color on the fly, youā€™d have to dynamically generate a language grammar to specifically target the section of code youā€™re interested in. It can be doneā€”I think thereā€™s a CSS color plugin that does itā€”but itā€™s a huge hassle.

0 Likes

Thank you. If it was straight-forward I was actually thinking of deleting it :wink: although the ability to at least change the background colour would have been interesting.

Iā€™ll leave it - itā€™s hardly noticeable (against my chosen background colour). Ta, Andy.

0 Likes

Itā€™s somewhere in the Color Scheme you use. Mine looks like this:

<dict> <key>name</key> <string>ā™¦ Embedded Source &amp; Code in Markup</string> <key>scope</key> <string>text source, markup.raw</string> <key>settings</key> <dict> <key>background</key> <string>#B0B3BA14</string> </dict> </dict>

Note the ā€œtext sourceā€ which defines the selector and the ā€œbackgroundā€ stuff (if youā€™re not used to tmThemes).

0 Likes

Thank you @FichteFoll

Iā€™d searched for this in my theme before but missed it because of the rgba setting:

<dict> <key>name</key> <string>ā™¦ Embedded Source (Bright)</string> <key>scope</key> <string>text source</string> <key>settings</key> <dict> <key>background</key> <string>#B1B3BA08</string> </dict> </dict>
I might change it slightly now :sunglasses:

0 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone! A shame this canā€™t be done (at least, not cleanly/easily), but perhaps someday.

0 Likes

Anyone know of anything new out there for Sublime3 that makes bookmarks more noticeable, or anything package?

thanks

0 Likes