Sublime Forum

New Icon (suggestion)

Hey everyone,

This perhaps doesn’t need to be a feature request. I just wanted to bring some of the folks over here into the discussion happening in General Discussion:

[quote]Hey folks, I’ve used Sublime Text now for a little over a year, and I’ve always felt that the icon didn’t really say a whole lot about what Sublime Text actually does. I’ve seen a lot of basic icons that show the letter, and a lot of copies of the button theme, and even a few that show markup.

For me I wanted to start with what Sublime Text means to me.

It’s a building tool. It creates the foundation, and so I liked the idea of blocks, and I liked the idea of abstracting the “S” a little bit. So after a few months of dwelling on it, I felt inspired to take a crack at it and I’d like to submit it to everyone if you’re interested.

I started with basic blocks, and refined through a number of steps.

and finally landed on something like this.

This icon has been saved out at HiDPI resolution as well. Mac only for now.

cl.ly/3P1K2X3c0e3u2d3f2T1g

Enjoy, and feedback welcome of course. I’d love to take some ideas and run with them.[/quote]

0 Likes

suggestion like this one were made before.
cant recall if Jon replied to any of those threads.
somehow there are always users who dislike sublime icon in its current state and try to come up with the next killer icon.
you can’t expect Sublime to change it’s branding every other month.
not trying to be disrespectful or diminish the efforts of all the users who made alternative sublime icons.

0 Likes

[quote=“vitaLee”]suggestion like this one were made before.
cant recall if Jon replied to any of those threads.
somehow there are always users who dislike sublime icon in its current state and try to come up with the next killer icon.
you can’t expect Sublime to change it’s branding every other month.
not trying to be disrespectful or diminish the efforts of all the users who made alternative sublime icons.[/quote]

Agreed. I think the feature we’d prefer would just be some way to override the icon to our liking (since everything else is so customizable)

Or find a way to modify the update engine to avoid replacing the icons resource.

But I’m sure its not quite that easy.

I’m not really looking to make a “killer” icon. But I will say that after using the old one since it was released I was still having trouble spotting it.

0 Likes