Sublime Forum

How was frontpage screencast created?

I liked the screencast animation on sublimetextā€™s frontpage. Out of curiosity I tried to figure out how it works, and I found the code quite interesting. I looked into the javascript code and found that itā€™s created with 6 base PNG images and arrays that apply blit deltas at specific time intervals. I am curious, what was the technique or tool that was used to generate those arrays? I imagine there was a tool that was fed with successive PNG screenshots of the demo and it spit out that javascript code. If the creators of the frontpage donā€™t mind sharing, can they enlighten me on this subject :question:

If you would like to earn some SO points you can answer at this link too: http://stackoverflow.com/q/11463749/174527

Thanks.

0 Likes

Not everything needs to be auto-generated.

I think Jon created the screencasts using the usual software - Camtasia, ScreenFlow etc and then just saved them as .gif adding them to an array within the JavaScript.

0 Likes

What would be nice is to see which keys are pressed for which action, for beginners like me. I could not reproduce the second example ā€¦

0 Likes

@bluebird75 Assuming you know that you can wrap quotes and brackets around a selection (try selecting some text and pressing " or ), the two less obvious features are: split selection into lines (menu: Selection > Split Into Lines) and join lines (menu: Edit > Line > Join Lines). I donā€™t think anything else is particularly mystifying.

P.S. I describe the actions via the menus because the key bindings are sometimes different across the various OSs.

Hope this helps,
Alex

0 Likes

The screencasts were created with a custom Python program that processes a series of regular .png files into a (considerably smaller) packed one. The end result is essentially animated gifs recreated with javascript+canvas+png, yielding higher quality animations.

Iā€™ve been meaning to write a blog post about it.

0 Likes

any chance of you sharing that python program :smile:

0 Likes

Do you write your own solutions to EVERYTHING?

0 Likes

Planning to with the blog post

Why yes, yes I do :slight_smile:

I tried to make them animated gifs initially, but the encoders I tested were spitting out unusably huge files. It would have been challenging to get the text + image synced up in this scenario, too.

0 Likes

Jon dreaming:

Jonā€™s nightmare:

:astonished:

0 Likes

Thanks Jon. Looking forward to the blog post.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œiamntzā€]Jon dreaming:

Jonā€™s nightmare:

:astonished:[/quote]

That was kind of me when I wrote my bachelorā€™s thesis in VHDL where debugging consisted of analyzing the generated waveformsā€¦

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing your PNG utils Jon. I wonder if you could share how you captured the timestamped PNG files? Someone asked on the blogpost but there was no answer, and Iā€™ve done a fair whack of searching but canā€™t find a convenient way to screencam to PNG.

TIA :smile:

S

0 Likes

I used a modified version of Sublime Text that recorded them whenever it did a repaint.

0 Likes

Thanks Jonā€¦ Was hoping for something a little more generic than that, but hey :wink:

0 Likes

Looks like a feature worth to be looked into further to me, like for creating gifs or something for a preview of your newest plugin on github or just on the web. Not anywhere near ā€œmust-haveā€ but not a bad idea either.

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing your PNG utils Jon. I wonder if you could share how you captured the timestamped PNG files?

Did I miss this? Can you point me to where the png-utils are shared?

Thanks

0 Likes

sublimetext.com/~jps/animate ā€¦ d_way.html

0 Likes