Sublime Forum

Macro across different panes?

hi everyone!
is it possible to record a macro in which I change from a pane to another? ctrl+1 and ctrl+2 seem to be stopping the recording of the macro! any ideas?
thanks!

0 Likes

It’s not possible, no - macros are limited in scope to a single buffer. If you want to automate some actions across several buffers, you’l have to resort to a plugin.

0 Likes

It’s a pity!
I sometimes have to prepare test data from existing data. In the left pane I have a large file of real data. In the right pane I want to have a subsetof the real data somewhat transformed to use in test cases.
A boring task. Before sublime I solved it with keyboard macros.

As sublime does not support it I now have to do a lot of copy and paste between panes and after that transform the data with a macros. Too bad I can’t easily move my selection with the mouse from one pane to the other and too bad that macros don’t realy support find.

To me the intended use of a keyboard macro will be a task of this kind: record, use and forget. I never saved such macros for reuse, they were oneway macros. And there will be no time to implement a oneway plugin :unamused:

I assume it is no simple matter to enhance the concept of macros. So every two or three month I will suffer this annoying weakness of sublime for an hour. After this joy is comming back.

0 Likes

I too would love to see full keyboard macros like this. I occasionally do similar things to you and have to use a different editor in those situations.

0 Likes

Well, I have winedt (an editor especially for latex, very very good!!) and sublime text side by side, and on top of that I have autohotkey (excellent!!) that lets me do all sorts of automations using key- and mouse presses… it’s a workaround to that…

0 Likes