Sublime Forum

Typing very slow/delayed even on small files

Unfortunately I’m already on 10.7.2. Comparing to other text editors (TextMate, TextEdit and XCode) at the same window dimensions, sublime definitely does fall behind in terms of performance. For me it would seem to be capping at a CPU bottleneck, with sublime completely saturating one CPU (and windowserver sitting at 30% usage on the other).

0 Likes

I had the same problem with my new iMac (Mac OS Lion), whereas at the office, I didn’t encounter the problem, with OS X Lion too.

I disabled the “minimap” and the problem was solved !

Hope this will help you !
Nicolas

0 Likes

I found the same thing to be true on my brand new macbook pro. I believe the poster was onto something in terms of it being screen resolution. The new macbook pros have retina display, i.e. 4x normal screen res. I have the latest OS. Sublime Text 2 has always been super snappy for me but on this new computer, the typing lags behind.

0 Likes

I can confirm this problem exists on the new “retina” Macbook Pros on latest version of Lion. When using full screen mode on the highest resolution, the editor is unusable it is so laggy. I have to keep mine sized to taking up maybe only about 40% of the screen to make it usable and even then I can sense a slight lag as I type. Any ideas? No plug-ins installed.

0 Likes

I just got a MacBook Pro Retina and can confirm the lag on a fresh install of Sublime Text 2 on Lion 10.7.4 with no other applications running. I am running at the resolution that “looks like 1920x1200” or 1920x1200 (HDPI). The larger the editor window the longer the lag. The issue of lagging affects Chocolat even more, but doesn’t affect full screen CodeMirror in Chrome Canary at all. Chrome Canary in general seems to be unaffected by the lag. I have yet to try IntelliJ with retina support but will try it soon. Hacker Typer in Chrome Canary has a little bit of lag but less than Sublime Text 2.

Update:
Just tried CollabEdit and Google Docs with large windows and full screen. No lag. Sublime Text 2 in full screen is unbearably slow. IntelliJ is still downloading.

Update 2:
Experimenting with different resolutions using SwitchResX. There is no lag at 1680x1050, although at that resolution I don’t personally have a reason to own a retina MacBook (I could buy a normal MacBook Pro at that resolution). There is lag at 1680x1050 (HDPI). If the editor is large enough there is some lag at 2880x1800.

Update 3:
At 1920x1200 (HDPI) there is no lag in IntelliJ using the retina hack.

0 Likes

I’m having the same problem on my Retina MBP.

On Lion I was able to get rendering up to 60 FPS by opening “Quartz Debug” and disabling Quartz Extreme. Also the GPU has to be in integrated mode for the performance to be good. You can force this with gfxCardStatus.

Obviously disabling Quartz Extreme makes other applications very slow (such as Google Chrome). Also on Mountain Lion I’m not able to replicate the good performance with this trick.

This leads me to believe that Sublime does something that interferes with hardware acceleration. I have never done any GUI programming on OSX so I can only guess, but I imagine any software rendering could cause this by requiring copying back and forth between graphics and normal memory (which could be faster on the integrated GPU that shares memory with the CPU).

0 Likes

Quite related: "goto anything" performance on retina panels

0 Likes

Same problem, 2560x1600 display running Mountain Lion. Sublime text is pretty much unusable if I make the window as large as I can. If I halve the window, it’s perfectly fast. This happens regardless of how much text is rendering, and having plugins or not makes no real difference to the speed. Really frustrating as everything else I use have no lag problems at all, is there any chance this will be fixed?

0 Likes

Hi,

I am new to this forum but thought I would put my five cents worth in regarding this problem. I echo the same issues just about everyone else in the thread has, when using the window at just over half of the screen (vertically) on a 24" monitor at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 the typing becomes extremely laggy, ianfitz video he posted demonstrates the exact issue I am having, I tried to take a look at what peppy posted but the dropbox link doesn’t seem to be functioning anymore. Like others have also said in the thread when using “fullscreen mode” typing just becomes unbearable.

I am using the latest version of Sublime Text 2 on Mountain Lion (10.8, Mac Pro) with all software up to date. I have installed some packages within ST2 but from what people have reported this problem is evident in clean installs as well so I really don’t see the point in removing what I have. I am a very big fan of ST2, I have found it to be an excellent editor after trying multiple others I wouldn’t change. I do hope something in the form of a patch can be released to resolve this issue or some feedback on how to fix it because it is really annoying not being able to split screen my development.

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see how it goes, thanks for your time.

Giganic.

0 Likes

The latest nightly build (2218) made a huge difference for me, now it’s perfectly acceptable on 2560x1600 mac pro with 8800 GT for me.

0 Likes

I’m not so sure the Nightly 2218 release has made that much of different in terms of performance, selection/GoTo… is still really very laggy. I’ve hidden the miniMap as a few people have mentioned to do, to help with performance, but to no avail… :frowning:

0 Likes

[quote=“ianfitz”]

HOWEVER, I just found a very interesting data point. If I resize my sublime text window to something really small like 300px x 400px, typing is crazy fast with no delay. If I then adjust the height from 400px to 500px, I notice a very slight but manageable delay if I type really really fast. If I boost the window height to 600px, now the delay is starting to get to the point where I occasionally notice it at normal typing speed. This curve continues, the point where if I make it full screen 1440x900, the slowness is as I describe in my original post.[/quote]

Absolutely true.
Mac users. It’s not Retina or MacBook problem. I have Debian on a simple machine with average 1280x1024 Dell and it’s extremely slow.
I found this thread with Google search “sublime text too slow”.
I tried standard package and dev tarball. Disabling code map and switching off all the code intelligence functions. There is no plugins. I tried it on a clean X server without Desktop Environment at all. All the same. Cursor is jumping “from word to word” like in Vim if you’re moving from the beginning of the word to the next one.

0 Likes

Sublime text slow typing on MacOS
Slow text input

BuyMeACola: The performance issues mentioned in this thread were specific to Retina displays on OS X, and have been resolved in the current nightly dev and nightly builds (builds 2218 and later).

In general, Linux performance has always been good, even at 2560x1600. Some users have encountered speed issues in Linux that were resolved with a display driver update. You may also want to check that your display is running in 24 bit or 32 bit color. Plugins can cause performance issues, so it’s also worth following these instructions: sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html

0 Likes

I just downloaded the latest nightly build (2219) on my Retina Macbook Pro and the typing delay has been resolved except for the first line of a document. The rest of the lines are lightning quick.

0 Likes

Hi ianfitz. I had the same problem until i un-installed EMMET. Now its working pretty smoothly.

0 Likes

I know that it’s a long time after the last reply, but I started to have it again since last week.
I have no emmet installed.
when I ran on linux I got not problem with that.
when running on Mac + Mojave (10.14.6) it’s really slow and does not matter the file size.

I notice however, that when it happens (after a sort while with sublime opened ) I have a Node process consuming lots of memory.
Suggestions?

0 Likes

Have you tried reverting to a freshly installed state?

0 Likes

Thanks for replying!
Well, I did not yet and I can try it. However,

1. what will guarantee that I will have it solved?
  2. how can I be sure that Will not happen again?

I mean, for every time I have this problem I need to refresh it?
I am like most of the fellas here, in the middle of an important delivery, stop and reconfigure it over and over maybe would not be a huge success.

0 Likes

The question just is: Is the delay caused by the core ST or by an plugin, which takes too long to return control to ST?

To figure that out, you need to prevent all plugins from loading. If the issue persists, the culprit is ST, if not a plugin is causing it.

In the former case the core devs may need to have a look.

In the latter case, you’d need to find out which plugin is the culprit to file an issue at the plugin’s github repository then with as many information about your setup and file locations as possible to hopefully enable the author to find the reason.

I woudn’t recommend to destroy your setup by deleting the plugins, but just to temporarily rename the data directory so ST thinks it’s running the first time.

The painful part is finding the plugin, which causes your delay then. Most likely a completion provider or a plugin used to manipulate or analyze the text.

0 Likes

I had this issue a lot on my old computer which I built in 2008 and used for around 10 years or so. Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz, 8GB DDR2 @ 400 Mhz ( although it reported 800 sometimes, sometimes 400 ), and so on. 750 ti video card then to 1080, then upgraded to an x299 system…

I have noticed this issue rarely on my new system ( dual 1080s now, 32GB DDR4 @ 3Ghz, x7820 @ 4.5 on all 16 threads, 8 cores ). but I mostly notice this on a browser while typing in a text box while javascript is running a lot of stuff and a few infinite loops because of broken sites.

It could be a plugin in sublime text which is locking something up.

What are all of the plugins you have installed? If it only happens on fresh install, and beyond, then it could be another process on your computer.

I’d recommend downloading some things from SysInternals by Microsoft if you’re using Windows OS on your PC. If you are running Mac OS or Linux on your PC, then there should be relevant software to check and log usage over time - try to find a trend of when it happens corresponding to what processes are taking up the most cpu, memory, etc… at the time.

It could also simply be linked to overall memory unused.

It happens so incredibly rarely, ( I may have encountered it a handful of times since the new pc build ), and I can’t recall what the exact culprit was…

0 Likes