Sublime Forum

OS X and click-through

Thought I’d copy and paste this from UserEcho because it’s getting no exposure there and it’s a sore point for me when using ST2. Hopefully other Mac users will see this thread and vote!

In OS X, when you click on a backgrounded window the window typically gets pulled to the fore and does nothing else. Currently in ST2 clicking on a backgrounded window will change your selection etc. in addition to pulling it into the foreground. This annoys me frequently as I’ll lose my multiple selections or I’ll scroll the window when I click on the minimap.

0 Likes

Not a solution, but you can use ctrl+u to undo the last action, which should restore your selection(s).

0 Likes

+1’d. This is needed!

0 Likes

Joined to chime in on this. It is a much-needed feature for the mac version, as most HIG-compliant applications on OS X work this way, and it is a very important user expectation. Unfortunately, windows is the opposite. Linux is a wildcard, and I can’t speak for it…

As a template, the activation should behave as it does when using the built-in textedit application. double-clicks work on an inactive window, single clicks activate the window.

I’d like to say all Apple apps behave, but finder has non-compliant behavior in the application view (it allows click-through, possibly for windows converts?).

Further (and slightly older) reading : daringfireball.net/2003/05/much_ … ickthrough

Thanks for the great software!

~Andrew

0 Likes

This was implemented in September

0 Likes

This still doesn’t work correctly in the sidebar/project list. Even if the app is in the background a click on the sidebar will switch the selected file. Given that the file names can be indented due to nesting, if the sidebar is partially obscured you may not even be able to see that you’re clicking on a file at all.

0 Likes