Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

"goto anything" performance on retina panels

Re: "goto anything" performance on retina panels

Postby peppy on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Oh wow, I didn't realise you were already optimising to that level. I will do some further testing tomorrow when I'm back at my machine to see if it is in fact capping on CPU, but it honestly would not surprise me if it was an issue with the OS X graphics pipeline based on what I've been seeing so far.
peppy

Postby peppy on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:57 am

Okay, on closer inspection it is definitely maxing a single core at a ratio of 80% ST2 20% WindowServer (roughly).

Here's a sample when continuously scrolling: http://puu.sh/FILf
Out of curiosity I also did one for Safari 6, which makes use of QuartzCore instead of CoreGraphics: http://puu.sh/FIOY

Good luck on this one. Sublime already performs better than the other text editors I tried out there, but it would be amazing to see it be the first one to bring back smooth scrolling to coders using retina displays :).
peppy

Postby Bramjetten on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 am

That would indeed be awesome. I must say that scrolling in Chocolat is a little smoother.
Bramjetten

Postby utotwel on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:23 pm

I can confirm this exists on my retina MacBook Pro as well. No plug-ins installed. Full-screen mode is basically unusable at highest resolution.
utotwel

Postby que on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Same issue here.
Just to add (since no one mentioned this before) there is no lag at all if I set resolution to native one (2880x1800) using SetResX.

UPD: sorry, no lag with "goto anything" repainting, but typing is still slow.
que

Postby gregr on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Anyone know if the current nightly build (2218) helps this "goto anything" lag on the retina display? I don't normally install the nightly builds, but I might this time if this is fixed...
gregr

Postby peppy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:44 am

The nightly build does definitely improve performance, but it still isn't perfect. It will probably make it perform to the point you can begrudgingly use it, if you're as near as sensitive to this stuff as me :D.
peppy

Postby gregr on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:23 pm

peppy wrote:The nightly build does definitely improve performance, but it still isn't perfect. It will probably make it perform to the point you can begrudgingly use it, if you're as near as sensitive to this stuff as me :D.

Cool, thanks. On the bright side, after using it all laggy-ish on the retina display for a while, plugging in an external display feels _lightning_ fast. :)
gregr

Postby peppy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 am

I do my primary editing on my cinema display when I'm not on the move, yeah. It soothes the pain ;).
peppy

Postby adebree on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Experiencing this on a MBP Retina as well, swapped to the 2218 nightly which did improve a lot. What are the future plans for handling this? When will it be available in a stable version and can more improvement be expected? The snappyness of ST2 was one of the reasons of swapping to it, being like this makes me cry a bit inside ;)
adebree

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support