Sublime Forum

"Find Next" Functions After Highlighting Text

Hello,
I would love it if when you highlight some text and then hit the ‘Find Next’ hotkey, it would find the next occurrence of the highlighted text. This makes searching very fast and easy. Attempting this currently does nothing, and you would never do it by accident so I don’t think it would pose any trouble usability-wise. I think it is intuitive to think that if I have something already highlighted that hitting find next would find the next occurrence of that text. It was my favorite feature of UltraEdit, but I’ve switched to Sublime now, cuz this editor is great :smile:

Thanks

0 Likes

What you propose is an assumption that anything that is currently selected should invariably become the target of the search feature. Which isn’t necessarily always the case. What if I wanted to search for something, then do some editing around the match by selecting some text and then jump to another match of my initial search?
Anyway, what you describe is a Quick Find feature that is already available (Ctrl+F3)

0 Likes

I think in your use case, there wouldnt be a problem since your highlighted text would presumably not be highlighted anymore after you did your editing.

That said, thanks for noting quick find…I’ll use that :smile:

0 Likes

Hi,

I think I’m looking for something similar to turdspank’s request (nice username by the way, haha).

What I would really like is something like a “find_selected_or_next” and “find_selected_or_prev” pair of commands that finds the next/previous occurrence of the selected text, or if no text is currently selected, delegates to the “find_next”/“find_prev” commands (to find the next/previous occurrence of the previously searched for text).

This is how I have setup most of my editors, and I find that I am really missing this feature in Sublime.

Is there any way to currently do this?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Bump.

I’m searching for this, too.Perhaps it’s already possible?
I’m looking for two find-options, that find immediately the previous or next occurence of the word under the cursor (selected or not).

The other find options don’t do this…

Help?

0 Likes

There are many ways to Find, listed in the Find menu. Ctrl-K, Ctrl-D will repeatedly find the next word under the cursor. The key-binding can be altered and a simple plug-in could be created to chain some of these commands together… if necessary :question:.

Personally, I don’t see the need; but perhaps it’s just me :smile:.

[Just my opinion, but I wonder why people try so hard to replicate behaviour [i]exactly the way it worked in their previous editor…]

0 Likes

That’s exactly what I was looking for! I changed it to a single key though. Thanks! :smile:

[quote=“agibsonsw”]
[Just my opinion, but I wonder why people try so hard to replicate behaviour [i]exactly [/quote]

the way it worked in their previous editor…]

Hm, I didn’t replicate too much, in fact I changed a lot when I started with sublimetext.
But something like “find the next ocurrence of the word under the cursor with a single keypress” is simply something I want to do when I code. :wink:

0 Likes

[quote]Hm, I didn’t replicate too much, in fact I changed a lot when I started with sublimetext.
But something like “find the next ocurrence of the word under the cursor with a single keypress” is simply something I want to do when I code.[/quote]

No worries. I use different editors and I do tend to change things like, for example, the shortcut-key for deleting a line. Andy.

0 Likes