Sublime Forum

Settings when opening a new window

Hello!

i am using ST2 for two purposes:

1. within big, multi-file latex projects. Here, i use the 2-grid window layout and also have the sidebar open to show me currently opened files
  2. as a simple text editor to open my .txt files.

Now is it possible, that the window layout (grids, sidebar, etc) is only stored within the project file and restored every time i re-open the project? What i want is ST2 to look simple when opening .txt files (just the editor window, no grids, no sidebar, nothing else) and complex when opening my projects.

Also, is it possible to define the default size of a new window? It always opens up way too large, because it reuses the big setting when i was working on my projects. But when opening a new window (to take quick notes, etc) or when opening a .txt file, i don’t want the whole screen filled with the window.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes

Sublime Text doen’t work well in both project and non-project modes - I have similar issue to what you describe and didn’t really find a setup I would be 100% happy with.

In fact, I think that ST2 works better in project mode than as a simple text editor. What it lacks, for example, is a file system tree outside the project context and I miss that feature quite a bit.

0 Likes

I would love to see some improvement in this area.

The current behaviour does not work well when using the editor from the command line.
A possible solution could be a new command line option for the subl tool
that allows control of the layout.

0 Likes

Great that you guys want the same feature, can we move this thread to the feature request area?

I was not sure whether there already is such functionality.

0 Likes

Window layout is saved to project session file. So you can have different layouts for each project already.
But it is saved to global session file too, so a new window opens with last layout even if hot_exit and remember_open_files are turned off.

One way is to make the global Session.sublime_session read-only. There are some obvious downsides to that but maybe they’re acceptable if you don’t need to change default layout often and you don’t care about recent files/projects lists for that mode.

Also you could install 2 copies of Sublime Text side by side, one regular and one “portable” (with Data subfolder). One would be designated for work with projects, and one as your default simple text editor. That way you could even have different configuration and packages for each, lets say the simple version doesn’t need to be loaded up with all those coding related helpers…

0 Likes

I’ve exact the same issue. Are there any updates on this topic?

From the release notes of build 2091:

Can I disable this behavior somehow? It would be really helpful if I can define the parameters of a new window.

0 Likes

Voting for this

0 Likes