Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Environment variables (OSX, specifically for LaTeX)

Environment variables (OSX, specifically for LaTeX)

Postby ajaffe on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:28 am

Hi,

I've just moved over to Sublime from TM2, and generally enjoying it, but a bit overwhelmed...

I have downloaded Package Control and LatexTools and the latter is proving very useful.

However, on Mountain Lion, there is a problem: Mountain Lion no longer reads the ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file, and hence Sublime doesn't pick up the TEXINPUTS and BSTINPUTS variables. There are several possibilities:

- set the environment variables globally -- this is quite difficult on Mountain Lion (seems to require /etc/launchd.conf), especially on a per-user basis which I would prefer.
- always run Sublime Text from the command line (so that it uses the variables set in .cshrc or similar)
- edit the LatexTools package file Latex.sublime-build and an "env" dictionary. If I do this, will that make it impossible for me to update the package with Package Control (i.e., git)?
- find some way to override the environment variables either globally for Sublime, or just for the build system. Are either of these possible?

Any ideas or best-practice?

Thanks,

Andrew
ajaffe

Re: Environment variables (OSX, specifically for LaTeX)

Postby qruzz on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:37 am

I am having the same problem on Mountain Lion!
When i try to use the LaTeXTools: View PDF or LaTeXTools: Jump to PDF, nothing happens.
If you find a sulution to the problem, i would be pleased if you would post it here - thanks
qruzz

Postby Marciano on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Oh no!!!!

I'm the developer of the LaTeXTools plugin, and this post just made me very sad :-( I thought the days of worrying about OSX's silly way to handle env variables were behind me..

Well, no matter. Fix #3 (changing the sublime-build file) won't work because the build command is actually a custimized version, and I don't think it currently reads the env variable at all. BUT, this is definitely something I need to fix.

I've been drifting away from OSX lately (can't stand Apple's attitude to "competition" anymore), but I do have Macs in the house. On the other hand, none of them is running Mountain Lion, and I actually wasn't planning to "upgrade" (not clear what's in it for me). I'll do my best, but I can't give an ETA.

EDIT: the quickest fix would be to actually read the env variable in sublime-build. Then, you could just copy the sublime-build file to the User directory. Whatever ST2 finds there takes precedence over any plugin-specific file, so even if the plugin's sublime-build gets clobbered, it doesn't matter. Again, no ETA, but this may be the easiest (though not the cleanest) fix.
Marciano

Postby Marciano on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Andrew, a question: you customized the envirnoment variables in question, right? I'm asking because, by checking my own old blog posts (yeah, weird, I know!) I remninded myself that, as of last year, it was no longer necessary to specify the path to the TeX *binaries* using environment.plist. Instead, you use the "path" option in the build file, which is fully supported. Indeed, I myself haven't used environment.plist ever since.

If you customized other tex-related env variables, the above does not apply to you---the right thing to do is to add the env-injection code to my customized build command. [BTW, the customization is necessary because otherwise you can't properly support error parsing and forward search after compilation, and do so in a cross-platform way]. Again, no ETAs, but I see that this may be a good thing to put back in.

BTW, In the future, please use github to report issues such as these. I don't check the ST2 forums that often, but I get automatic notifications as soon as a new issue is reported on github. Thanks! M
Marciano

Postby qruzz on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:03 pm

I acctually found a fix for the compiling part, so you don't need to upgrade the package.
It seems that you have to execute the file called subl, from inside the Sublime Text 2 folder, which makes it possible to build and view the .pdf file.
I use Skim Reader to view the .pdf file, after building ..
To set up inverse search, go to Preferences, select the Sync tab, choose Custom from the Preset drop-down menu, and enter subl in the Command field and "%file":%line in the Arguments field. Also make sure the Check for file changes box is not checked.
Thanks for the respond though - appreciate that!
qruzz

Return to General Discussion