Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

using Sublime Text 2 as an editor for R in Windows

Re: using Sublime Text 2 as an editor for R in Windows

Postby hootener on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:54 pm

a) this is a known problem, b) I was unable to recreate it with RTerm. Can you think of a use case leading to an orphaned RTerm?

Ah, so it was known problem, sorry to retread old ground, then. In terms of (b), I cannot think offhand of an issue that causes the problem because I usually don't notice the orphans until they are sucking away at my available resources. In the upcoming days I will keep an eye on my process monitor and try to determine when the issue occurs. I have added the soft_quit option to my R config and I haven't noticed the orphan problem since. However, I've only used R a handful of times since making the change. In short, I'll keep an eye out and see if I can't give you a more thorough description of the problem.

Thanks for the help, and for your fast-as-usual response. I would've gotten a reply up sooner, but the ST2 forums have been down for me pretty much all day.
hootener

Postby wuub on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 am

Ah, so it was known problem, sorry to retread old ground, then.

To be precise, orphaned processes are a known problem. With Clojure and Scala the reason why this happens is known, not so with RTerm. You made a good choice rising this issue. Having a reliable recreation steps would be even better, but I know how it is with Heisenbugs.

In short, I'll keep an eye out and see if I can't give you a more thorough description of the problem.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

ST2 forums have been down for me pretty much all day.

No problem. Most of the time REPL/PTY issues have to wait until weekend either way.
SublimeREPL via Package Control & SublimePTY dev/pre-alpha. Donations are appreciated, but not required :) Twitter: @wuub
wuub

Postby hootener on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, I've been away on travel.

Initially I was unable to provide a use case to create the orphaned R term process, but insight form a colleague made it fairly obvious what the problem is. My ST2 setup is configured to ''remember'' the open tabs so that, upon reopening ST2 after a close, the previously opened tabs are available. When an R REPL is running and you close ST2 (but don't close the REPL tab first) the Rterm process is not killed. However, when you reopen ST2 and close the R REPL, it is (I'm assuming) no longer associated with the RTerm process, therefore closing the R REPL tab has no effect on the RTerm process. Does this make sense? Basically if you set up ST2 to reopen previously opened tabs at launch and you don't close the R REPL tab before quitting ST2, the Rterm process is essentially orphaned.

I'm still not sure why CPU usage on the orphaned process blows up to 50%, but I was able to replicate the orphaning issue using the above approach.

Hope this helps.
hootener

Postby stretchtiberius on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:55 pm

I also have been using SublimeREPL with R in Windows and greatly appreciate the package. Last year I was using the plugin without problems (aside from the rterm process that did not close when sublime exited).

However, now I cannot get code to run from another file. I used to select code an hit F2, s. Now not is not longer working for me. I have also tried the various new menu options under "Eval in REPL" and "Transfer to REPL". None seem to work.
stretchtiberius

Postby quesada on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:06 pm

The best environment for R is eclipse with StatET, and that's because of one feature: a workspace explorer. All objects, with their dimensions, are there. You can preview them. I have no idea how the feature could be replicated, but it'd be kiler.
quesada

Previous

Return to Technical Support