Sublime Forum

Xiki Support in Sublime (With Incentive)

Hey, all -

Jeffrey here from Nettuts+. I recently came across this tool, xiki.org/screencasts/

According to their GitHub page, if we want to add support to Sublime, they’ll assist: github.com/trogdoro/xiki (See "Other Editors’)

I thought I’d, on behalf of Envato and Nettuts+, throw in a small incentive; we’ll give a $500 bonus to the developer who can make it happen. :smile:

0 Likes

Also, curious to hear if this is even possible, given Sublime’s API. I’ve heard yes and no from folks.

0 Likes

Thanks for the link Jeff. After looking over some of the screencasts, it looks a bit out of reach for ST’s API at the moment (the only things that look possible are the code folding and mousemap stuff) but I know Jon’s working on an update and I can only speculate as to the future. So hopefully we can see plugins like this soon.

0 Likes

would love to see it in Sublime Text

Awesome!

curious to hear if this is even possible, given Sublime’s API

I haven’t looked into Sublime’s API yet but I’ve heard it’s pretty decent. Xiki has kind of an insane number of features that do all kinds of disparate things. It might be helpful to scope a first version to, for example, the stuff shown in the “Can your shell console do this?” screencast:

0 Likes

This is all possible with the current Sublime APIs. I’ve started a plugin at github.com/lunixbochs/SublimeXiki

This is a real Xiki instance with my (very much WIP) plugin:

All I ask of Jon is a way to properly use contexts for mouse events (the same way they work on keys), because hooking double-click right now will break your normal double click (even if I tell it to use a context).

0 Likes

That looks pretty awesome lunixbochs.
I am interested in working on this plugin as I love the idea of Xiki I just don’t like Emacs and love Sublime Text.

I’m interested in helping out with your plugin. I might try and make a syntax mode to highlight Xiki notes.
After that is done your trick of the “xiki” view setting could be replaced by checking for the Xiki syntax mode.

0 Likes

Nice!

Should probably stick to indenting by 2 spaces though.

0 Likes

Now using two spaces, and including basic command line support:

New directory support:

0 Likes

No $500 for lunixbochs ?

0 Likes

Tons of updates (including a couple of original features). The best/fastest place to follow my progress is still the respository: github.com/lunixbochs/SublimeXiki

Commands with more than 24 lines of output will have their output folded continuously.
There’s also a syntax mode now.

Commands are now executed asynchronously from the editor, with the output streamed back to Sublime smoothly. My use case for this was git push and friends, which previously froze the editor and got killed by my timeout in communicate().

This means you can do something obnoxious like find / and it won’t freeze your editor (though that much output might eventually slow it down a bit :stuck_out_tongue:).

The highlight means a command is still running. If you cmd+enter invoke a running command before it finishes, it will kill the process.

0 Likes

What’s the best/easiest way to install?

Thanks so much for your hard work on this!

0 Likes

[quote=“roblight”]What’s the best/easiest way to install?

Thanks so much for your hard work on this![/quote]

package control: add reposity -> github.com/lunixbochs/SublimeXiki (paste this)

package control: install package -> SublimeXiki

0 Likes

That worked nicely! Never added a repo to package control before. I assume I can use package control to update the package when a new one comes out.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes

Great idea! Would happily donate to this project/developer.

Doesn’t seem to work well if you use RVM on OS X to manage your Rubies, though… Might be a general problem in Sublime, though, but it runs my other ruby code in-editor just fine with the “build” command… Here’s the error from running “docs”:

docs /Users/lumbergh/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p194/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency.rb:247:in `to_specs': Could not find xiki (>= 0) amongst [bigdecimal-1.1.0, io-console-0.3, json-1.5.4, minitest-2.5.1, rake-0.9.2.2, rdoc-3.9.4] (Gem::LoadError) from /Users/lumbergh/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p194/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency.rb:256:in `to_spec' from /Users/lumbergh/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p194/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:1231:in `gem' from /Users/lumbergh/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/bin/xiki:18:in `<main>'

0 Likes

Try the latest commit.

If the xiki shell command still can’t reliably run, you need to edit /usr/local/bin/xiki shebang with the full path to a ruby install that can run it.

Re: easiest way to install;
It’s now in Package Control.

0 Likes

No $500 for Lunix?

0 Likes