Sublime Forum

A handle to the directory

Hello,

I faced a problem when the program does not close the directory handle after closing the file. It is severely hampered when a user tries to rename or delete the directory.
For example:

1. Open the file c:\temp\example.txt in Sublime Text.
  2. Close the tab of the file.
  3. Observe a list of handles in Process Explorer (technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi … s/bb896653).
    As result the directory c:\temp is still opened and user cannot delete it.

I would be very grateful to you if you fix this bug.

Build of the app: 2181.

P.S.
Please, move this topic if I posted it to wrong forum.

0 Likes

Just tried it on Windows 7 and it work as expected, I never see any handle on this directory or this file.

startup, version: 2192 windows x64 channel: nightly

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]Just tried it on Windows 7 and it work as expected, I never see any handle on this directory or this file.

startup, version: 2192 windows x64 channel: nightly[/quote]

So this is fixed for future versions?

Anyway I’d just like to bump this after spending an hour figuring out how to delete the empty folder sitting at my desktop.
Apparently I opened a file in that folder at some point, and haven’t closed Sublime Text 2 since (why would I?).

Build: 2181

0 Likes

I see the issue as well and have since I began using ST2 prior to its official 2.0 launch. It’s like there’s a lock on the folder somehow.

I’ve seen cases where I’ve worked on a file in a directory, closed the file, then attempted to delete the directory from Windows explorer and get an error. As soon as I exit Sublime Text I can watch as the folder magically disappears.

It is very frustrating when building software that writes log files into directories which then get deleted on the next rebuild.

Nightly Channel, Build: 2218

0 Likes