Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Completions within completions

Completions within completions

Postby agibsonsw on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Hello. If you try to start a new completion, while within another completion, by pressing Tab or Ctrl-Space, ST tends to forget about the first completions' fields. That is, tabbing will not resume the original completion. [At least, it used to do this for me..]

Create or add the following to your User - Key Bindings.
Code: Select all
[
    { "keys": ["ctrl+alt+right"], "command": "insert_best_completion", "args": {"default": "", "exact": true} },
    { "keys": ["ctrl+alt+right"], "command": "insert_best_completion", "args": {"default": "", "exact": false},
        "context":
        [
            { "key": "setting.tab_completion", "operator": "equal", "operand": true }
        ]
    },
    { "keys": ["ctrl+alt+right"], "command": "replace_completion_with_next_completion", "context":
        [
            { "key": "last_command", "operator": "equal", "operand": "insert_best_completion" },
        ]
    },
    { "keys": ["ctrl+alt+left"], "command": "replace_completion_with_prev_completion", "context":
        [
            { "key": "last_command", "operator": "equal", "operand": "insert_best_completion" },
        ]
    },
    // insert best completion for current word:
    { "keys": ["ctrl+shift+c"], "command": "run_macro_file",
        "args": {"file": "Packages/User/bestcomp.sublime-macro"} }
]

Then create the following macro named bestcomp.sublime-macro.
[
   {
      "args":
      {
         "by": "characters",
         "forward": false
      },
      "command": "move"
   },
   {
      "args":
      {
         "by": "word_ends",
         "forward": true
      },
      "command": "move"
   },
   {
        "args":
        {
            "default": "",
            "exact": false
        },
        "command": "insert_best_completion"
    }
]

[You can just copy the above to a new, blank file and save it with the correct name and extension.]

When you are within a completion type the name (or the first few letters) of the completion you wish to use and press Ctrl-Shift-C to insert this completion. You should then be able to Tab through the remaining fields. [I should say that this works for me, but I can't guarantee it ;) ]

If you have pressed Ctrl-Shift-C and the wrong completion is assumed, press Ctrl-Alt-Left or Ctrl-Alt-Right to cycle backwards and forwards through other completions.

This has particular relevance to my jQuery completions file (NB it requires a jQuery syntax file!). If I use my ready() completion:

$(document).ready(handler)

the word handler is highlighted and I can press Ctrl-Shift-C to obtain:
$(document).ready(function (|) {
    |
}|)|

with the tab/field positions as indicated by the pipes. This is because the words handler (and callback) are also completions within my jQuery completions file.

As a matter of fact, it tends to work with just the Ctrl-Alt-Left/Right shortcuts, without the need for the macro (Ctrl-Shift-C) file. But it's nice to have alternatives 8-)
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.
agibsonsw

Return to General Discussion