Sublime Forum

Multi-OS package/preference Sync

Anyone have a solution for keeping their plugins/preferences sync’d between two different OS platforms?

With VIM, I had vimfiles+.vimrc; For emacs, .emacs.d+.emacs, etc. Since everything is basically in one folder for sublime, I’m not sure how to go about approaching using it in both Windows and Linux.

For Emacs and then VIM, I had a git repo that I just cloned, and everything worked from there. I don’t want to modify the plugins that come by default (I’m aware I can update them from pristine), but I also don’t need to keep the whole tree in a repo, since each release will potentially update them (if I modified my local copy, then I’d want them in a repo).

I suppose I could create a plugin that’d watch a folder, then update files bi-directionally, but that seems overkill. However, it’d be better than what I am currently doing.

Right now (and yes :unamused: , I know this is ridiculous!) I am dragging 4 copies of it around on a USB key - windows 32, windows 64, linux 32, linux 64. If I update one, then I update all 4 of them, then when I go to use it on a machine I copy it over and use the portable version (the linux ones were much easier to set up … no shock there).

0 Likes

I use dropbox and symlinks, which I find to be very easy once it’s set up.

0 Likes

I use an hg repo in .config/sublime-text-2 with the following .hgignore

^Packages/^User]
^Pristine\ Packages
^Installed\ Packages
Session.sublime_session
^Backup/

0 Likes

Doh! Dunno why putting all the normal ones in an ignore list didn’t occur to me. I will try this and see how it goes.

Thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“datgame”]I use an hg repo in .config/sublime-text-2 with the following .hgignore

^Packages/^User]
^Pristine\ Packages
^Installed\ Packages
Session.sublime_session
^Backup/[/quote]

Is that using Mercurial?
Have a tutorial somewhere I could look at? I never used Mercurial, but I want to sync between a Windows machine and a Mac machine.

Thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“Saxi”]

[quote=“datgame”]
Is that using Mercurial?
Have a tutorial somewhere I could look at? I never used Mercurial, but I want to sync between a Windows machine and a Mac machine.

Thanks![/quote]

Yes. hg is mercurial.
hginit.com
I sync sublime configs for linux/osx/windows with hg.[/quote]

0 Likes