Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Multi-OS package/preference Sync

Multi-OS package/preference Sync

Postby philomelus on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Anyone have a solution for keeping their plugins/preferences sync'd between two different OS platforms?

With VIM, I had vimfiles+.vimrc; For emacs, .emacs.d+.emacs, etc. Since everything is basically in one folder for sublime, I'm not sure how to go about approaching using it in both Windows and Linux.

For Emacs and then VIM, I had a git repo that I just cloned, and everything worked from there. I don't want to modify the plugins that come by default (I'm aware I can update them from pristine), but I also don't need to keep the whole tree in a repo, since each release will potentially update them (if I modified my local copy, then I'd want them in a repo).

I suppose I could create a plugin that'd watch a folder, then update files bi-directionally, but that seems overkill. However, it'd be better than what I am currently doing.

Right now (and yes :roll: , I know this is ridiculous!) I am dragging 4 copies of it around on a USB key - windows 32, windows 64, linux 32, linux 64. If I update one, then I update all 4 of them, then when I go to use it on a machine I copy it over and use the portable version (the linux ones were much easier to set up ... no shock there).
philomelus

Re: Multi-OS package/preference Sync

Postby adzenith on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 pm

I use dropbox and symlinks, which I find to be very easy once it's set up.
adzenith

Postby datgame on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:25 pm

I use an hg repo in .config/sublime-text-2 with the following .hgignore

^Packages/[^User]
^Pristine\ Packages
^Installed\ Packages
Session.sublime_session
^Backup/
datgame

Postby philomelus on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:16 pm

datgame wrote:I use an hg repo in .config/sublime-text-2 with the following .hgignore

Doh! Dunno why putting all the normal ones in an ignore list didn't occur to me. I will try this and see how it goes.

Thanks!
philomelus

Postby Saxi on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 am

datgame wrote:I use an hg repo in .config/sublime-text-2 with the following .hgignore

^Packages/[^User]
^Pristine\ Packages
^Installed\ Packages
Session.sublime_session
^Backup/

Is that using Mercurial?
Have a tutorial somewhere I could look at? I never used Mercurial, but I want to sync between a Windows machine and a Mac machine.

Thanks!
Saxi

Postby datgame on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:48 pm

[quote="Saxi"][quote="datgame"]
Is that using Mercurial?
Have a tutorial somewhere I could look at? I never used Mercurial, but I want to sync between a Windows machine and a Mac machine.

Thanks![/quote]

Yes. hg is mercurial.
http://hginit.com
I sync sublime configs for linux/osx/windows with hg.
datgame

Return to General Discussion