Sublime Forum

The geeky thread: show off your Sublime Text startup time

Hello,

yesterday i was investigated some startup time latency issue, and manage to decrease startup time from around 3.5 sec to 1.3, yay ! Then i thought i wanted to compare to other results.

Come here and tell us which / how many plugins are installed and what’s your startup time.
I’ll start with mine.
[Plugins]

Startup time ~ 1.3s
I noticed that SublimeCodeIntel, sadly, considerably increases startup time. If i disable it, i get down to 0.5s!

0 Likes

Huh, you actually helped me discover why Sublime text took way to long to just open for me.

I have way too many plugins to list them all. This is the total items that I have in the Packages folder:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34865/Screenshots/st2%20packages.png

And here’s the startup time. I just counted the time after I clicked on the icon:
ST2 with Codeintel enabled: 15 seconds (cold start)
ST2 with Codeintel disabled: 3 seconds. (warm start)
Opening ST2 again with Codeintel enabled: 8 seconds (warm start)
Opening ST2 again with Codeintel disabled: 3 seconds (warm)

I don’t know exactly why Codeintel seriously lowers the time, but I’m going to keep it disabled. At this point, I have no idea why I even have it installed. It’s one of those plugins that’s regularly in the “top 10 ST2 plugins” but I don’t think I’ve used it too much.

Oh and I’m using a 4 year old mac which is already pretty slow with only 4GB ram but having ST2 open in less than 5 seconds is just bliss now. I’m so happy! :smiley:

0 Likes

Mine says:

startup time: 0.111318

It has some secret sauce though :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Cheater!

plugin init time: 1.15458 startup time: 1.62594

0 Likes

My current startup times are 0.357193 seconds (I assume) for startup and 0.097752 seconds for plugin init. (Edit: new numbers — now they’re the same length in characters. Beautiful perfectionism.)

0 Likes

Nilium, jps, would you share your plugins list ?

jps, could you shaure your secret sauce :smiley: ? Or is that “sauce” is fat-free sauce (i.e 0 plugins) ?

0 Likes

haha, yeah, he’s probably only got C++/Vintage/Default packages enabled and a custom or dev build of Sublime

0 Likes

[quote=“tobalsan”]Nilium, jps, would you share your plugins list ?

jps, could you shaure your secret sauce :smiley: ? Or is that “sauce” is fat-free sauce (i.e 0 plugins) ?[/quote]

I can, I doubt it’ll help much though, since my setup likely won’t jive with everyone else’s setup (since I do game dev using C/C++, whereas it seems like most folks using Sublime are dirty, filthy web developers). Simple ls | pbcopy of my packages directory:

Alignment C++ CSS CoffeeScript Default Diff Git HTML JavaScript Lisp Lua Makefile ManPages Markdown NilKit Objective-C Origami Python Regular Expressions Ruby ShellScript SublimeClang Text Theme - Nil User XML

Quick note: I keep SublimeClang in my ignored_packages list since using it’s buggy as hell and sort of a last resort. It doesn’t play well with Objective-C and is iffy enough with C++11 anyway. I should probably just remove it.

0 Likes

Ooh, what’s in NilKit?

0 Likes

My personal thingies. Specifically a handful of snippets that I made and a couple plugins specifically for coding in C, C++, and Objective-C.

0 Likes

Mine.

AdvancedNewFile Alignment ApacheConf.tmLanguage AutoFileName BufferScroll CoffeeScript CSSComb InsertNums JSFormat LESS NetTuts+ Fetch Package Control phpDocumentor Prefixr Sublime-Evaluate SublimeREPL
Mine says startup time: 6.59451 interesting…

I just quite Sublime again and restarted it startup time: 0.887752 apparently I had an update for a plugin…

0 Likes

My list:

BufferScroll
DocBlockr
Edit History
ExportHtml
FavoriteFiles
FuzzyFileNav
Gist
HexViewer
JsFormat
LineEndings
Local History
Modific
Nodejs
nodejsLauncher
Origami
Package Control
Require Node.js Modules Helper
SideBarEnhancements
SublimeLinter
SublimeRope
Sundired Color Scheme
ToggleQuotes
Tortoise
TrailingSpaces
WinMerge

First startup time:
startup time: 30.0529

Subsequent startup time:
startup time: 0.565472

I believe the first startup will always be slow for me as the hard drive on my laptop is slow.
Later a startup is of course faster because all the files are in the cache.

BTW: I have
“hot_exit”: false,
“remember_open_files”: false,

0 Likes

First start

plugin init time: 2.62461 loading bindings loading pointer bindings found 1 files for base name Soda Dark.sublime-theme theme loaded app ready pre session restore time: 3.94761 startup cache, total files: 172 cache hits: 172 startup time: 4.77755 (package setup was not run) loaded 349 snippets

Next start

plugin init time: 2.2419 loading bindings loading pointer bindings found 1 files for base name Soda Dark.sublime-theme theme loaded app ready pre session restore time: 2.9247 startup cache, total files: 172 cache hits: 172 startup time: 3.5638 (package setup was not run) loaded 349 snippets

Packages

Alignment ApacheConf.tmLanguage Batch File BracketHighlighter BufferScroll CSS Camaleon ClipboardCommands Color Scheme - Default Default DetectSyntax Dictionaries Diff Edit History EncodingHelper Function Name Display Goto Documentation Goto-CSS-Declaration HTML HTMLAttributes Hasher INI JavaScript JsFormat JustSwapQuotes Language - English LineEndings Makefile Markdown Open-Include Origami PHP Package Control Pretty JSON Preview Python Rails Regular Expressions Ruby SFTP SQL ShellScript SideBarEnhancements SideBarGit Smart Match SublimeCodeIntel Tag Terminal Text Textile Theme - Default Theme - Soda Tito User Vintage WinMerge WordCount WordHighlight XML YAML sublimelint test

0 Likes

Just a suggestion, but it is very easy via PackageControl to disable plug-ins that you are not using :wink:

I believe it would even be possible :wink: to create what is called a **Perspective **in another editor. That is, a command which enables some packages, and disables others. I suppose this could even happen automatically according to the file (or Project) that is active.

Then again, someone may already have done this…?

Added: I also believe that some users might be including more than one plug-in that perform a similar role; this might lead to conflict or, at least, confusion. But this is just my two cents :smile:. Andy.

0 Likes

Can any user of SublimeCodeIntel give his opinion about it ? I noticed that all the “fast loading” (under 1 sec) are not using SublimeCodeIntel, whereas the “slower” ones use it.

That confirms what I thought, SublimeCodeIntel sort of clutters ST2 (not that i’m ranting about this plugin or anything, i have installed and i think it’s a good plugin). Just it seems to slow down our favorite code editor a bit.

0 Likes

[quote=“tobalsan”]Can any user of SublimeCodeIntel give his opinion about it ? I noticed that all the “fast loading” (under 1 sec) are not using SublimeCodeIntel, whereas the “slower” ones use it.

That confirms what I thought, SublimeCodeIntel sort of clutters ST2 (not that i’m ranting about this plugin or anything, i have installed and i think it’s a good plugin). Just it seems to slow down our favorite code editor a bit.[/quote]

There is an updated version of **SublimeCodeIntel **but I forget what it is called. If you seach this forum you should find it. The original version is not maintained and behaves erratically, I understand.

0 Likes