Sublime Forum

Goto Symbol in the whole project

Use case: I remember class name (Python, PHP, etc…), but I can’t remember filename. How can I use “Goto symbol” to find my class in the whole project, not only in the current file, or myfile@MyClass?

0 Likes

Out of the box sublime doesnt do this. I have tried to do the same thing. Most likely because doing that would be similar to a global search. Which with a large project can get quite slow. I bet with some monkeying in the python code you could find how to extend it on a global level. To give you a starting point, I enable sublime.log_commands(True) in the console and watch for the commands that are used to do that search. Then try and find that implementation in the python scripts used by Sublime.

0 Likes

You should check out the ctags package. This is precisely what it exists for.

0 Likes

Mr. Tact,

Is it possible to search for all symbols with the Ctags plug-in? Or just jump to a symbol that is being called in your code? I think Ctags just let’s you jump to the symbol but you cannot search project-wide for a particular symbol. I could be wrong. If there is another plug-in that does this, I would be interested to hear about it.

Scott

0 Likes