Sublime Forum

Beginner's question about Projects

The documentation page on Projects doesn’t actually say anything about how they are used. Looking around on the forum tells me that if I’ve got a Project defined and open I can type “Ctrl-P” to open a sort of file browser window. Is that the extent of the Projects functionality?

What is the reasoning behind having the browser’s find-as-you-type only search for files instead of folders?

I expected the Project browser to remember what I’d previously typed. Perhaps that’s just my bias because I’m expecting standard file-browser functionality. Would it make sense to anyone else for it to work that way?

0 Likes

Perhaps I did not understand your reasoning quiet well. But getting old and wise :unamused: I distance myself to complex project support in editors. This is a one eighty to my views 25 years ago.

I don’t want to represent my projects in the editor anymore. This was an investment without return. Now I just need a fast access to the project files I use to edit and a project specific build tool. Sublime Text supports this quite well.

Ok, I would prefer to see the current project in the statusbar as well as the current build tool. But this has no high priority.

To me, the greatest benefit is to have all files in the “Ctrl-P” list for fast access without thinking about directories (Yes, my filenames are unique). This beats file browser functionality.

Sorry, but I can’t imagine why should the remember what I previouly typed. Can You give a szenario?

0 Likes

Here’s an example of why I might want the Project browser to remember what I previously searched for: I launch the Project browser and type the path for the directory containing the files I want to work with. I choose one of them and begin editing. Later I launch the browser again to open another file related to the one I’m working on. Is it reasonable to expect I might be working on something in the same location? Or even that I might be trying to return to the previous set of results even if it was filename based instead of directory based?

0 Likes

I’ll add an item to the todo list to have the option of your last entry being remembered.

You can search for a folder starting with foo by typing ‘\foo’ in the quick panel. It used to automatically search filter on both file and directory names, but this turned out to be annoying for some projects.

0 Likes

If your working on a file within the same location of the current file just use ctrl+alt+shift+O (open from current dir) it should really read open from current TAB NAME dir… because that’s what it is…

But I would also like to have the option to recall previous search results/and filter typed. I can’t think of a reason right now but I have wanted this before, not a biggie for me tho…

0 Likes