Sublime Forum

Display total line count

This is just a simple thing so if itā€™s been mentioned before my searches werenā€™t finding it.

In the status bar where it currently says ā€œLine ##, Column ##ā€, can this be changed to ā€œLine ## of ###, Column ##ā€ where ### is the total line count for the document? Itā€™s just a handy bit of info to know at a glance :smile:

Cheers!

0 Likes

I would like to see this too, and maybe also the total byte count of the file.

Other editors Iā€™ve used would even show the decimal and hex value of the current character, which would be cool to have.

0 Likes

Yes, for sure! :smile:

Quite interesting! If it doesnā€™t make the status bar look too crowded, then I say go for it.

0 Likes

Of course, my feature suggestion about that is to have a user editable status format with replaceable tokens:

statusFormat  "Line %line of %lines, Col %col of %cols, %bytes bytes - %char  %dec  %hex"

For example. :smile: Then Sublime Text can come with a default standard format, and people can customize it as they like.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œToddFiskeā€]

Of course, my feature suggestion about that is to have a user editable status format with replaceable tokens:

statusFormat  "Line %line of %lines, Col %col of %cols, %bytes bytes - %char  %dec  %hex"

For example. :smile: Then Sublime Text can come with a default standard format, and people can customize it as they like.[/quote]

+1, I like that :smiley:
even though is possible to do all this with a plugin, I would like it to be default.

0 Likes

Iā€™m another one whoā€™d appreciate line count. Also Iā€™d quite like the encoding included[1], too! :smile: Iā€™m only generally concerned whether or not itā€™s UTF-8 or UTF-16.

Like others I am keen to avoid a cluttered status bar, and I appreciate this could be done via a plugin but itā€™s all about getting the best out-of-box experience. Especially when the plugins have such a steep learning curve.

[1] I know it currently shows it if you hover over the tab, but Iā€™d certainly vote for it being ever present.

0 Likes

As EJ12N said, you can do this via a plugin.

Hereā€™s a working sample to get you started:

[code]import sublime, sublimeplugin

class CustomStatusBar(sublimeplugin.Plugin):
def onSelectionModified(self, view):
if not view.hasNonEmptySelectionRegion():
line, column = view.rowcol(view.sel()[0].begin())
totalLines = len(view.lines(sublime.Region(0L, view.size())))
msg = ā€˜Line %d of %d, Column %dā€™ % (line, totalLines, column)
sublime.statusMessage(msg)
else:
sublime.statusMessage(ā€™ā€™) # restore default status msg[/code]

Or you can use something like this instead (less pretty, but more plugin friendly):

view.setStatus("totalLines", "Total lines: %d" % totalLines)
2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using this plugin for a while and I keep finding it a bit flaky. It only shows me the line count when I change the location of the cursor, but if I switch to a different window and then switch back, it still displays the old ā€œLine X, Column Yā€ message until I change the cursor location again. It also reverts after you let it sit for ten seconds or so without any interaction.

I would like to have the total line count displayed at all times. Is there a way I can also add this behaviour when the document becomes visible/selected? I am not that familiar with the event architecture for use by plugins :smile:

I also had to add 1 to all of the displayed values because the variables used by the plugin are all zero-based.

msg = 'Line %d of %d, Column %d' % (line + 1, totalLines + 1, column + 1)
0 Likes

You can see the callbacks available to plugins at sublimetext.com/docs/api-ref ā€¦ gin.Plugin , in this case youā€™ll want to use the onActivated callback.

0 Likes

Okay, got that working. Thanks! :smile: However, how do I stop the old statusbar format (ā€œLine ##, Column ##ā€) from returning after several seconds of no interaction? Is there a way I can interrupt that timeout?

0 Likes

You can used view.setStatus() to assign a persistent status message with a view - see the API reference for details. Youā€™ll want something along the lines of (untested, btw):

import sublime, sublimeplugin

class CustomStatusBar(sublimeplugin.Plugin):
    def onModified(self, view):
        totalLines = len(view.lines(sublime.Region(0L, view.size())))
        msg = '%d lines' % (totalLines)
        sublime.setStatus('totalLines', msg)

def onLoaded(self, view):
        self.onModified(view)
3 Likes

Does anyone know any way to do this? Even if it isnā€™t in the status bar, though that would be ideal. It is something all the other editors I have used/tried tend to do, and something I find very useful.

0 Likes