Sublime Forum

Changing syntax regex?

Hi,

Short: I’m trying to change a syntax definition so as to stop capturing string.quoted.single.c if the ’ is preceded by a #

Description:
I am switching from Textmate to Sublime Text 2 for LPC programming. This uses mostly C syntax, with a notable exception: we have a ‘closure’ which has the format of:

#'func_name

The problem I’m having is that the ’ in #’ gets captured by the string.quoted.single.c bit of syntax highlighting.

I’d avoided this in Textmate using the following change in the syntax definition:

{ name = 'string.quoted.single.c'; begin = "(?<!#)'"; end = "'"; beginCaptures = { 0 = { name = 'punctuation.definition.string.begin.c'; }; }; endCaptures = { 0 = { name = 'punctuation.definition.string.end.c'; }; }; patterns = ( { include = '#string_escaped_char'; } ); },

I tried altering both the C.tmlanguage file with the (?<!#) addition, but this ends in a parsing failure. I’ve tried editing the user specific syntax with a snippet to override string.quoted.single.c.

{ "name": "LPC Single-Quote", "scopeName": "source.c", "fileTypes": "c""h"], "patterns": {"name": "string.quoted.single.c", "begin": "(?<!#)'", "beginCaptures": { "0" : { "name" : "punctuation.definition.string.begin.c" } }, "endCaptures" : { "0" : { "name" : "punctuation.definition.string.end.c" } }, "patterns" : { "include" : "#string_escaped_char"} ], "end" : "'" } ], "uuid": "2aeaa0d9-69e2-46a5-b631-792d8e0d8182" }

I’ve tried editing a new snippet with that as well. I’ve also tried creating a new snippet called string.closure.c which tried to match #’ and capture that over the string.quoted.single.c and format it a different colour. I’ve tried placing this snippet in C.sublime-settings. None of these have been successful – and I’m sure it’s because I’m doing something wrong.

Can someone lend a hand? I just want sublime text “C” parser to ignore #’ rather than thinking it’s the beginning of a string.

Thanks

Zyzzyr

0 Likes

Ok, well after much hacking I finally got it to work.

I replaced the line

<string>'</string>

with

<string>(?&lt;!#)'</string>

which is essentially what I was doing in textmate, but I replaced the < for < due to the use of xml.

I could still use some help if anyone has ideas, so that I can capture #’ and highlight that differently.

Cheers

Zyzzyr

0 Likes

You might be able to use AAAPackageDev to convert your custom Textmate syntax definition from JSON to XML.

If that doesn’t work, you can still translate the change you made:

<dict> <key>name</key> <string>string.quoted.single</string> <key>begin</key> <string>(?&lt;!#)'</string> <key>end</key> <string>'</string> <key>beginCaptures</key> <dict> <key>0</key> <dict> <key>name</key> <string>punctuation.definition.string.begin.c</string> </dict> </dict> <key>endCaptures</key> <dict> <key>0</key> <dict> <key>name</key> <string>punctuation.definition.string.end.c</string> </dict> </dict> <key>patterns</key> <array> <dict> <key>include</key> <string>#string_escaped_char</string> </dict> </array> </dict>

0 Likes

Another LDMud dev curious if you got this sorted already, Zyzzyr. Any luck?

0 Likes

Sorry for the thread necro, but:
@Zyzzyr As of today I have a syntax definition package (“LPC”) available on package control, for ST3 builds >= 3084.

0 Likes