Sublime Forum

Issue with pasting and multiple selections

I’m a first-time user of Sublime and, while I generally like it quite a bit, I’m having a pasting-related problem that might be a deal breaker for me. So I want to see if anybody can help me find a solution.

Here’s the issue. When I’m coding I frequently copy and paste e.g. a variable or function name to save time when using it again in the same file. In Notepad++ (which is what I used until now) this works as expected, but in Sublime I end up with edit points at both the point I copied from and the point I pasted to, so continuing to type after pasting results in unwanted text at the point I copied from. I know I can press the Escape key to undo the multiple select, but this generally leaves the edit point at the point I copied from, so I still have to use the mouse to return the edit point to the correct spot.

What I want to know is whether there’s a way to disable multiple select being triggered when something is pasted from another point in the same file. I’ve looked through the default preferences but there doesn’t seem to be one that controls this.

It’d be a shame to have to forgo using Sublime because of this issue, but when it’s such a frequent occurrence I don’t think it’s gonna work very well to just put up with it.

0 Likes

I never seen this behavior in ST.
Pasting command past the clipboard content where cursors are.
So if before pasting you have only one cursor, after pasting you still have one cursor at the end of the pasted text.

Do you use Vintage or some others plugins ?

0 Likes

No, no plugins. I just downloaded the latest version from this site and installed it. Windows 64-bit, for whatever that’s worth…

0 Likes

I’ve never heard of this either… For me, pasting works fine.

0 Likes

You wouldn’t by chance be holding down the ctrl key when your doing selecting the are to paste to?

This is the only way I could think that you would end up with 2 cursors, one at each point.

0 Likes

You know what, I think I’ve been doing that without thinking about it. Is there a key mapping for Ctrl + mouse click, because I can’t find that either and I’d prefer to disable that feature if possible (or switch it to e.g. Ctrl + Shift + mouse click).

0 Likes

Nevermind - I managed to find it by looking in the Default package folder. Weird though that it doesn’t allow user overrides for .sublime-mousemap files.

0 Likes