Sublime Forum

Spreadsheet development

I am very impressed by sublime text 2. It is the fastest text editor I have ever used, in terms of both load times and user interface. I am very curious to know, how much parallel programming or gpu implementations are done with Sublime text 2(ST2)? It seems like it could easily be made into the fastest spreadsheet tool i’ve ever seen. Has anyone considered a spreadsheet version of ST2? If not, I would be glad to help make it into one…

Curious to know what everyones opinions are, thanks!

1 Like

Sometimes I edit tab-separated values (TSV) files using this plugin:
github.com/SublimeText/ElasticTabstops
I also have a little plugin that will find the sum of selected characters.

Other than that, as far as I know Sublime Text 2 is built to display text, and it will be quite difficult for a plugin to make it display a spreadsheet in a non-ASCII format.

0 Likes

I also have used ElasticTabstops for editing CSV files as well as the table editing features of SmartMarkdown &, especially, TableEditor for creating plain text tables in Pandoc-flavoured Markdown. I’ve wondered whether it would be possible to add more “spreadsheet” type features. (The tables I use are text without requirements for formulas.)

If any Python hacker out there is looking for a project I would very much like two features:

Sorting. Sort by columns. Limit sort to a specific table (in the case of Markdown).
Filters. Fold all lines matching (or not matching) a regex. The ability to limit by columns would extra-awesome.

0 Likes