Sublime Forum

Unicode: Compound letters do not display correctly

I am trying Sublime Text 2 on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and started loving it, but when I use Telugu compound letters inside the editor, it displays little boxes with “25CC” written inside the boxes, making the text unreadable.

For example, the simple letter క displays fine, but the compund letter కు doesn’t.
You can copy paste the కు into editor to see how it looks, comparing it to the letter showing here.

I wonder if the editor is trying to display a non-visual join code that may be present in a compound letter.
The other editors like gedit, geany do not have this issue.

Telugu is one of the Indian languages, but I guess this would be a problem with any languages that use compound letters with unicode.

Thanks,
Satya

0 Likes

Indic texts not rendering correctly

Updating my post with more details and a screenshot:

Since the last minor version, I no longer see the boxes… however, letters and their modifiers are not joining.
I have tested this with some other Indian languages and they all have the same display problem with their base letters and their modifiers appearing separately, without joining. They look fine in gedit but not in Sublime Text 2.0.1

For example, copy this Telugu word, తెలుగు in gedit and sublime to see the problem.
Or another language, Hindi हिंदी word.

Btw, I could not attach the 8 kb screenshot to this post (got an error), so please see it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/psatya/8117393178/in/photostream
The first example contains 3 base letters with each having one modifier, so they are displaying like 6 separate letters in ST, instead of 3 compund letters.

Fixing that single issue will support the languages of one billion people (or may be more) in Sublime Text editor.
And I am going to license every major version of it for the next 20 years! So, please…

Thanks,
Satya

0 Likes