Sublime Forum

Clicking on previously selected text prevents focus change

Windows 7, Sublime 2.0.1

Steps:

1. Open two column views with text in them.
  2. In view 2, first click on any symbol, for example a variable name.
  3. The focus switches to view 2 and the cursor is where you clicked. Good.
  4. Now double click on the same symbol to “select” it.
  5. In view 1, double click on some other symbol. The focus and cursor moves as expected. Good.
  6. Now, try to double click on the original symbol (still highlighted) in view 2. Notice the focus remains in view 1.
  7. Keep double clicking on it if you want but the focus will stay in view 1.
  8. Double click on a different symbol in view 2 and everything will be fine again.

This doesn’t only happen with double clicking, but it’s easiest to demonstrate.

Summary: clicking on a previously selected piece of text in an out-of-focus view prevents focus from changing to that view.

This is happening to me all the time because I’ve been copying symbols from one view and replacing them in another view.

PS. sublime text 2 is brilliant

0 Likes

Focusing another buffer when clicking on selected text doesn't work

Just wondering if this bug report is unique to my system or if it’s been reproduced.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Can’t repro on OS X. Haven’t tried Windows.

0 Likes

I just tried it under OSX and the same bug seems to exist:

Open sublime on windows or osx (and probably ubuntu – I’ll try this afternoon). Make the layout two columns and put an empty file in each column.

In the first column type “hello”, in the second type “there”.

First try single clicking on “hello”, then on “there”, then back and forth. The focus and cursor changes between the views as expected.

Now try double clicking on “hello”. Then click on “there”. The focus changes which is good. Now click back on “hello”. The cursor remains on “there”.

Instead of double clicking, you could have also selected it with the mouse.

0 Likes

also happens on win 7 with st 2.0.1 (2217). very annoying sometimes

0 Likes

Note: this bug does not occur under Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS running Sublime 2.0.1 2217

0 Likes

I’m seeing the same issue in SublimeText 3 (build 3126) on Mac OS X (Sierra), exactly as described by jaunt. I keep copy/pasting the wrong text and/or typing in the wrong file. It’s driving me crazy…

0 Likes

this is a well known annoying bug, I’m really hoping the devs will fix it before ST 3 comes out of beta

0 Likes