Sublime Forum

How to enable retina/hidpi/whatever mode on Windows?

So I stumbled upon this Soda theme which implied there’s support for larger GUi buttons etc. in Sublime Text:

How can I enable this mode on a Windows computer? Is there any way to adjust the “zoom” factor in percentages?

0 Likes

Those larger buttons are for the Retina display, so that it looks good, at the same size.

It is impossible for Windows to use the Retina display because you need an operating system that supports it (which I believe is only Mac OSX Mountain Lion), and you need a monitor or display that supports it, and those are only sold by Apple, in their Macs.

Does that answer your question? Or did I misunderstand it?

• Eduan
0 Likes

[quote=“Eduan”]Those larger buttons are for the Retina display, so that it looks good, at the same size.

It is impossible for Windows to use the Retina display because you need an operating system that supports it (which I believe is only Mac OSX Mountain Lion), and you need a monitor or display that supports it, and those are only sold by Apple, in their Macs.

Does that answer your question? Or did I misunderstand it?

• Eduan[/quote]

The point of my question was that the buttons etc. are quite small in Sublime Text 2, so I’d like them to be bigger and easier to see.

I understand that the controls must be small by default because most users probably use (relatively) low resolution displays where there’s never enough space, but with larger displays it isn’t that critical to minimize the amount of space buttons use.

0 Likes

Oh, for that you would have to modify your theme in order for it to make the buttons larger. I’ve done the same but to make them smaller. :smile:

• Eduan
0 Likes

Thanks, I see. I was just hoping there was some kind of config parameter to do it for me, since the theme already has bigger icons and everything ready.

0 Likes

You don’t have to modify the core of your theme, you can use a user theme file: github.com/buymeasoda/soda-them … tomisation

Although I do recommend pasting the whole theme file and changing what you want. :smile:

• Eduan
0 Likes

That is not correct, Windows is a DPI-aware since XP, which is much longer than Apple and its retina trend.
You can enable high pixel-ratios such as 1.25, 1.50… and any value of your choice in the “Appearance” settings, and even it is not convenient, this works without a big screen.

Now retina-screens trend is there, and hardware begin to rollout, more and more websites adapt to high picelRatios, and applications should do the same.
Windows offers tools to tell applications if the dpi setting is >1 or not, but ST just ignore it…

I don’t have a MBP retina, but an ASUS UX32 Zenbook which offers a full-HD resolution into a 13" screen (165ppi), making the machine quite unusable without HiDPI setting. So whilst waiting for a bugfix (or new feature, call it what you want), I’ve created a HiDPI “forced” theme (derivated from Soda), which works quite well on HiDPI screens.

You can check this out on : github.com/Antwan86/soda-theme-hidpi (don’t forget to set global font-size to a large enough value).

0 Likes

Sorry for the necro, but I just got my hands on a Kirabook (13" with 2560x1440 native resolution, 197ppi). Not using a high DPI setting makes the computer completely unusable. I’ve seen support for high-DPI displays in Sublime on a mac though, so I’m hoping some effort could be put into porting it to Windows.

0 Likes

I’m interested in HiDPI support as well. New device is a 14" 3200x1800. HiDPI support for Windows apps need some catching up. :smile:

0 Likes

I’ve just got a 15.5" ThinkPad with 2880 x 1620 display set to 200% scaling on Windows 8.1. While Sublime is usable, themes are fuzzy, presumably because “Retina” aka HiDPI themes aren’t enabled for Windows? For example Soda, which explicitly states it supports Retina displays, is fuzzy on my screen.

So it would be nice if we could have HiDPI on Windows too, seeing as these screens are become ever more prevalent and popular.

There is one thing I’ve noticed on Windows that is actually a bit unusable: gutter icons. They don’t get scaled, even naively. They just stay tiny. Screenshot:

0 Likes