Sublime Forum

German localisation?

Any plans to realise a fully internationalized german version?
With full translation and tested spell checking for german?

Sublime looks promising, but I prefer an editor in my native language.

0 Likes

Is it possible to change the language interface from English to a different one?

You can easily localize Sublime Text 2 with editing the File (on Windows 7):

c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\Main.sublime-menu

and correspondig files.

I don’t know, where these files reside on other Systems, for MacOS I can have a look, when I am back home.

I had began editing this File, but I have localized only about 25 items.

I think the localization of the frontend shoud be a community project. So I have registered my own account on Bitbucket to create a project for Main.sublime-menu. Currently it is a closed project because I am not familiar with Git and this should be my first try with a VCS for myself.

But I am open for working together on this task.

If you are interested in taking part please send me a PM in this forum so we can change our email addresses

Bye

P.S. I have searched for german localization files but did not find anything ready to use.

0 Likes

Hi Erbakus,

Sublime is not an open-source project, you have to pay for it.
I would only help with translation if the sublime company
pays me for my work.

I will not buy/use the editor, if it has no german localisation.

And as no sublime employee is answering my question, the
chances are quite high that they do NOT plan to
create and support a german localisation.

0 Likes

While the editor is not open source, part of what makes ST so great is the community, which is always willing to contribute. While I don’t know about localizations, there is a german dictionary for st here: github.com/SublimeText/Dictionaries

0 Likes

Hi C0D312,
some things cannot be done by a community.

Here are my requiremenents for a german localisation

• translation of menus, error messages and enumerations, for example in drop-down boxes
  • support of umlaute öäüÖÄÜß, and all Umlaute of other european languages
  • german number, date and currency format (currency example: not “$5.34” but “5,34€”)
  • spell checking for old and new german (alte und neue deutsche Rechtschreibung)
  • german Anführungszeichen „hallo“
  • support of Umlaute in file names and directory names
  • help in german

Language (i.e. „Deutsch“) should be changable at runtime,
changing the menues, help and all user interface messages.
Settings like spell checking should still be changable -
I might want to see the menues in german,
but write a text in french. German Anführungszeichen should be easy to enter.
Scripts should be easily adaptable to work with german number, date and currency format.

The switch of language at run time cannot be added by a community but
must be implemented in the application.

Thus I stick with PSPad (under Windows).

0 Likes

Came here looking for the same thing as Deteros, but it’s no big deal for me: I’m not German, I just write it sometimes, so a dictionary is all I need. Thanks to C0D312 for pointing me to one!

Also I felt I should clear up a few things:

These make sense as part of localisation.

These already exist. Hit the usual key, and your ü, ä, ö or ß will appear.

You might have problems on Linux filesystems with non-ASCII characters in filenames, but that’s a problem with Linux filesystems, not Sublime Text.

The dictionary you’ll have to install yourself. It’d be nice if ST came with a package for installing new dictionaries, but distributing dozens of large dictionary files with the app just in case somebody needs one is too much.

These don’t make any sense. Sublime Text is a code editor, not a spreadsheet or word processor. Formatting numbers is up to the user, not the software, and adding German “smart quotes” is bad in a code editor: it’d screw up the code.

That’d be the domain of (programming/markup) language-specific Packages (e.g. they might make sense in the Markdown package, and it would be up to that package to use German “smart quotes” („“) instead of English ones (“”) if the language were set to German.

0 Likes