Sublime Forum

New user: Can I have some help getting linting working?

Hi!

Just discovered SublimeText and have the sense that I’ll learn to love it quickly - most text editors on Windows are terrible after all.

But I’m having some initial difficulties - ST takes quite a different approach to settings and plugins to what I’m used to and there seems to be an impenetrable wall right now, the other side of which only initiates are let in on.

I have tried installing both sublimelint and sublimelinter. None of them actually do anything, however. CTRL+SHIFT+P produces only one menu option for SublimeLinter - Extract Annotations. I’ve read that it’s supposed to show a lot more stuff, but it doesn’t.

SublimeLint on the other hand shows three options, but none of them actually do anything (previous error, next error and show all errors all fail to highlight any errors).

I’m not sure if I’m experiencing bugs. It seems that the ST community is of a very high technical level and that as a mere mortal, I’m supposed to know things I don’t. A little bit intimidating for sure, but I have the sense I will be well served by persisting.

Thanks for your help,
Eivind

0 Likes

It may be worth stating that the above reported behaviour is the same for all file types.

Cheers,
E

0 Likes

Did you install package control? This is the best way to manage packages.

Follow the link, click the green button, and then follow the instructions.

wbond.net/sublime_packages/package_control

0 Likes

Check the Console regularly as well, by pressing Ctrl-’ (apostrophe), to see if there are any error messages.

0 Likes

[quote=“pier”]Did you install package control? This is the best way to manage packages.

Follow the link, click the green button, and then follow the instructions.

wbond.net/sublime_packages/package_control[/quote]

yes, I did. thanks for the input

0 Likes

No error messages. The linters just have absolutely no effect. That goes for SublimeLint as well as SublimeLinter. Nothing happens when I run any of them. Am I not supposed to get user feedback from these plugins - does the output go into a file somewhere?

Cheers

0 Likes

Maybe you have a non-ascii character in your environment. This bug bit me hard when I was trying to get linting working.

Try applying this fix: github.com/bronson/SublimeTextS … 9a3c311569

0 Likes

No actually he’s right, I’m a longtime Sublime Text 2 users and if you just use package control to install sublime linters you will FIND THEY NEVER WORK. They often mention something about needed to install so me javascript engine via package control. I remember I spent an entire afternoon and just gave up.

Anyone can check exactly what they had to do? I find the people who have it working installed it so long ago, that when they delete and reinstall to prove it works, they don’t realize there are a bunch of other packages they had to get going.

0 Likes

For me, nothing worked until I applied the non-ascii env bugfix.

Then SublimeLint worked great for Python and Ruby but not Javascript.

And SublimeLinter worked for JavaScript but its jshint settings were completely wrong for my codebase and changing them was a big pita (ignores ~/.jshintrc, requires a restart when making any config changes). Also, Python and Ruby had problems.

So, I’m currently using SublimeLint for Python and Ruby and trying to find time to tweak it to make jshint work.

Love the linting when it works but it’s been a big time sink.

0 Likes