Sublime Forum

Slow project drawer updates over sshfs

Hi,

I sometimes mount remote system over sshfs and then use ā€œAdd folder to projectā€ feature on that mounted folder.

The problem is when clicking folders open from the triangle it sometimes takes over 30 seconds for the contents of that directory to show up.
At the same time, browsing folders with nautilus works fine so I donā€™t think itā€™s network related issue.

Iā€™m using Sublime Text 2 beta build 2126 on Linux 64 bit.

Is there something I could do to speed it up?

0 Likes

Hi all,

anyone has news on this?

by doing strace on ST i see that itā€™s traversing over all folders and doing ā€œinotify_add_watchā€ for every one of them. this is probably for catching changed /new files?
unfortunatelly i have a lot of folders in my project (3000!) and it takes more then 10 minutes (even 20) to get through them all. Iā€™m running sshfs over broadband.

could ST be changed so that it would first scan for files and folders and then assign inotify in the background?

ratko

0 Likes

I have the same issue. The only way for me to access files on my server at work is via ssh. While I would much prefer to use Sublime for editing those files, of late Iā€™ve had to resort to command line editors because performance over the ssh mounted filesystem is unusable.

I suspect a change like what ratko is suggesting would help a good deal.

0 Likes

Sorry to resurrect old post but this is still a problem for me.

Sure I have more time to check facebook when using sublime text but I would really like to use it more :smile:

Do you guys know any way to speed up project drawer when browsing over sshfs? Just now, Iā€™ve been waiting to open a folder for 10 minutes.

0 Likes

Hey, I suffer same problem - kind of workaround: stackoverflow.com/questions/1252 ā€¦ over-sshfs

0 Likes

This is really more of a problem with SSHFS and FUSE-based file systems than Sublime Text.

If you want something a bit more robust and easy to use, you can try something that Iā€™ve been working on called ā€˜xenoā€™ (https://xeno.io). I was similarly having problems with SSHFS (more to do with a shoddy connection than sluggish editor performance), so I put together this Git/SSH mashup as a replacement for SSHFS. It will allow you to open up files/folders in Sublime Text (or any local editor really) over an SSH connection, and automatically synchronize changes to the remote machine. You can even start your local editor from inside an SSH connection and have it continue to synchronize changes to the remote after you quit the SSH session. It should work on almost all POSIX systems (I myself use it from OS X to connect to Linux machines and edit files in Sublime Text).

What it does is generate an out-of-worktree Git repository of the files you want to edit on the remote machine, and then clones it locally and uses Git over SSH as a transport/synchronization mechanism. This does not interfere with any existing source control, and it also does not require you to use any existing source control. And because itā€™s built on Git, itā€™s extremely fast and supports automatic merging of files that might be changing on both ends, unlike SSHFS/rmate/rsub which will just clobber any files with older timestamps.

Itā€™s also free and open source :smile:, and Iā€™d really love some feedback.

0 Likes

Xeno looks interesting. I will take a look.

In the sublime build 3065 this issue is pretty much solved. I can now see what folders are being loaded and the startup delay seems to be gone.

Thank you!

0 Likes

I still have this issue and itā€™s 2021

0 Likes