Sublime Forum

Quicksilver / Awesomebar style project file finder

Anyone familiar with how quicksilver handles keyboard input will know instantly what im talking about, but for those who dont, its basically a fuzzy input search, the awesomebar does the same thing in firefox but it requires spaces between match sets. In sublimetext it would mean matching the entire path of the project. IE

i want /Application/Namespace/Class/Child/Abstract.php
rather than typing ‘abstract’ and looking through all my abstract files (there are a lot) i might type ‘class abstract’ or ‘chiabs’, and the project file selector would narrow the search down to match best the input. the interface would continue to bold the ‘match’. Also, case sensitivity should be off.

another example

want : /Application/Views/Layouts/site.phtml
in the project there are probably 50 files named site (context is given by the directory structure)
current: i type site.phtml and select the relevant one out of a list of around 10 or so.
ideal:
input: ‘laysi’
interface /Application/Views/Layout/site.phtml

Since quicksilver is open sourced now, the algorithm it uses should be easy enough to duplicate.

0 Likes

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, the Quick Panel already works with way, although like the awesome bar, it requires a space between terms.

e.g., in your first example, typing “\class abstract” will match the named file (directory portions don’t get matched unless you prefix the term with a backslash), and the expected portions will be bolded. The matching is case insensitive.

You can also use upper case characters to match just the beginning of words: SP will match site.phtml, for example.

0 Likes

jps, it does work similarly yes. I’m contending that the capitalisation/spaces is non intuitive compared to the quicksilver solution, and that matching should be based on the entire path within the project rather than the file name.

0 Likes

It would be nice to eliminate the need for spaces when using backslashes for dir matching, since they are really extraneous.

It would also be nice to support camel-cased and _ separated filesnames so that SFR would match SublimeFrigginRocks.py or sublime_friggin_rocks.py. Obviously this would match other files as well, but these word-start characters should weight the matches more heavily and push the camel-cased or _ separated terms to the top of the list.

I guess most of this comes from using IntelliJ and I think textmate works similarly as well.

0 Likes

The quick panel has always done this.

0 Likes

Yup, my bad! :wink: It works great. I have gotten used to this now, and I like the way the finder works as is.

0 Likes