Sublime Forum

Make Settings Search File in Home Folder

Hi, I noticed the search paths for settings files for sublime is here:
sublimetext.com/docs/2/settings.html

I would like to request some way to specify settings via some file in a user’s home folder.
I like to keep all my settings managed via a git dotfiles repo, so it’s easier to share settings across machines (settings like .gitconfig or .ssh/config)

Would it be possible to have Sublime Text 2 (which is awesome) lookup some file int he home directory for settings? Maybe $HOME/.sublime-settings or something?

Thanks,

0 Likes

Is there any reason you don’t want to create the a directory at your home, then just use a symlink to the appropriate location? Well I guess technically you would have to set up the link on every computer, but it should work as a temporary work around. I believe this is the method many users (including myself) use.

0 Likes

Yea, but it’s a hack. This feature seems like an easy win. Doesn’t seem obstrusive either. Is Sublime open source? I’m happy to contribute as well.

0 Likes

Agreed, Sublime Text isn’t an open source project. You could check (if you haven’t already) sublimetext.userecho.com/, to see if anyone else wants it. If not, you can create it. The closest we can get is by developing plugins for Sublime Text. But from what I have learned in the handful of plugins I have written, checking an arbitrary location for configurations isn’t possible. Though I could be wrong, hopefully someone else will come by to either confirm or refute this.

0 Likes

Not a big one.

As @skuroda implies, it’s a common part of setting up a workflow with Sublime, especially if you move across computers and/or operating systems. Don’t knock it 'till you’ve tried it :smiley:

Alex

0 Likes