Sublime Forum

Suggestion/Question: NERDTree like project pane/popup

sometimes i miss a project pane that works like NERDTree (flickr.com/photos/30496122@N … 4/sizes/o/).

the current project pane/popup is really great when you know your project. you can find files fast and without many keystrokes and i really like it.

however i think that it removes the visual logical structure a tree view can provide at first glance.

for me this is especially true with new projects or bigger framework that i don’t know inside out.

maybe i’m alone on this?

0 Likes

No, you aren’t. :smile: This in combination with multi selectable files would be awesome.

0 Likes

+1!

0 Likes

I agree. That was the first thing I noticed missing when I first fired it up. I even went looking to see if someone created a ‘project files’ plugin / mod.
I’m not used to the ‘open file in project’ format yet. I like that I can type below the list and have it limit the list, but for larger projects (100s of files) that’s a nasty looking screen no matter how you search it :smile:

I do love sublime though. Well Done !

Thanks !
-Jon

0 Likes

I emailed Jon about how soon a project tree would arrive and was surprised to learn it’s actually not on the roadmap whatsoever. No reason given.

So those who have expressed interest in one, there’s some cold water on this “feature” request (feature in quotes since it’s less a feature than an essential element of any editor).

Insert sadface.

0 Likes

Aw, i already thought so :frowning:. damn.

0 Likes

The author is not against the project pane: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=959&start=10#p4146
It’s just not currently on priority. Let’s hope this thread will help him rethink his position on this matter :smile:

0 Likes

To be honest I was resilient to the idea of using the project quick panel at first, and like most of you felt that a project tree was essential. Well… After a few months of use I don’t feel the need for a project tree anymore, to the contrary I’m totally in love with the speed at which I can search/open files. Not only it’s fast and perfectly usable (I bound it to something that didn’t require two hands to trigger it though: alt+f), but it frees up real estate on the screen that would otherwise be used for something that is of interest during maybe 2% of the time I spend coding.

Seriously guys, give it a shot. A project manager might even come some day, I hope I’ll just be able to fully disable/hide it, cause I tell you: I’m not going back to that!

0 Likes

[quote=“burn”]To be honest I was resilient to the idea of using the project quick panel at first, and like most of you felt that a project tree was essential. Well… After a few months of use I don’t feel the need for a project tree anymore, to the contrary I’m totally in love with the speed at which I can search/open files. Not only it’s fast and perfectly usable (I bound it to something that didn’t require two hands to trigger it though: alt+f), but it frees up real estate on the screen that would otherwise be used for something that is of interest during maybe 2% of the time I spend coding.

Seriously guys, give it a shot. A project manager might even come some day, I hope I’ll just be able to fully disable/hide it, cause I tell you: I’m not going back to that![/quote]

+1 I too loved the “project tree” that I loved in pretty much all my editors I’ve used… notepad++, netbeans, zend studio, e-texteditor, vim, emacs, etc… but then sublime came and show me the light :smiley: never going back now! and if I need to browse, totalcmd is one shortcut/click away

0 Likes

jps, what’s your price … for a nerdtreealike project foo pane? :smile:

0 Likes

I’m with EJ12N and Burn on this one.

I used to work in Visual Studio, then one day I started using SlickEdit (at a new job). SlickEdit has a very similar functionality, which everyone at my previous job used.
Ever since I started using it, I’ve never felt much need for a project panel.

On the contrary: Almost every editor I’ve ever used doesn’t have a quick panel, which is so important to me (especially for large projects) that I abandon most other editors. This is one of the reasons I love Sublime so much.

That said, I suppose a project panel which slides in and out of the left side of the screen wouldn’t be all bad.
The way I picture it, it would look like most editor’s project panel, except it would have a quick-search field at the top which works the same as “Open file in project”. That way, you get the best of both worlds, and people who haven’t seen the light yet get a chance to learn about this great feature.

0 Likes

I agree +1 :smiley:

0 Likes