Sublime Forum

Theme sidebar

I couldn’t tell you how, but it is certainly possible. You may just want to download someone else’s theme.

I’m sure there are a bunch more out there, these are just the ones I could recall off the top of my head to search for. You may just want to use one of those, but if you still want to theme it yourself, just dig into the files. You’ll see it’s all json, xml, and png’s.

0 Likes

I can’t help you there. I’ve never had a need to modify a theme. The default or any other. I have a feeling that Jon (the developer) uses the editor without the sidebar open. I’d be willing to bet he only opens it for moments at a time, then closes it again. Once you learn Sublime and all the ways to manipulate and find files (and content in the files), then you really don’t even need the sidebar any more.

If you’re still dead set on changing the default theme then, like I mentioned before, look at one of the other themes and figure out how they did it. You don’t have to use it, just figure out what’s different. You’re probably going to be replacing textures (png images) and changing XML. Also, If you do decide to change the default theme, I highly suggest that you make a copy of it and use that. If you make edits to the default theme, you’ll lose your changes the next time the editor is upgraded when it overrides core files.

0 Likes

I just did a little digging and I don’t think you need to worry about images. Check this out. Open up Default.sublime-theme (in Sublime Text 2\Data\Packages\Theme - Default). Open it up in ST2 of course. :smile: Look for this:

{ "class": "sidebar_tree", "row_padding": [8, 3], "indent": 12, "indent_offset": 17, "indent_top_level": false, "layer0.tint": [230, 230, 230], "layer0.opacity": 1.0, "dark_content": false },

Change the “layer0.tint” setting to whatever RGB value you like. The default monokai theme uses 39, 40, 34 as it’s background color:

"layer0.tint": [39, 40, 34],

As soon as you save the file you’ll see your sidebar change. Of course, make a copy - you know that. That should get you started. You’ll see a bunch of other sidebar entries in there to modify. You MAY have to change some PNGs for things like the folder expansion icons, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Good luck!

0 Likes