Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

What new features are coming?

Re: What new features are coming?

Postby amphetamine on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm

200 wrote:Would be cool if he sold it to the Eclipse-team. What a wonderful fusion that would be.

Scala (best language ever, staticly typed, so IDE is a *huge benefit*) + Eclipse (awesome advanced) + Sublime Text 2 (extremely effective for writing) => Programmer's paradise :D

Sounds to me like one gigantic, bloated mess whose manual would be illegal to print in the interests of rainforest conservation.
amphetamine

Postby sublimator on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah, sublime text with really good intelligent refactoring/navigation tools would be amazing.

It's really incredible what you can do with Eclipse and Java if you can tolerate the slowness and horrible low level editing.

Scala is super Java by the sounds. Surely IDEs don't need to be as slow as all that?

I could definitely live without most of persistent views like 'outline views' in favour of 'nothing but the code'
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby mark4 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:20 am

if Jon sells to either Microsoft or Eclipse ill NEVER be buying any upgrades from them. ive never seen a single microsoft product that was worth a damn SPECIALLY their not IDE, and Eclipse is one of the single worst (badly designed, badly implemented, badly interfaced) pieces of software ive ever been forced to use. EVERY key press was sheer agony (only slightly worse than netbeans).

THIS editor just blows my mind. If Jon sells it at all it will degrade into a bloated pile of "make it do everything and who cares about the bugs or speed" horse manure. NOBODY will put their heart and soul into it the way he has.

if you are not offered at least 20 million dont take it jon!
mark4

Postby xeno.by on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 am

castles_made_of_sand wrote:Yeah, sublime text with really good intelligent refactoring/navigation tools would be amazing

There exists a beta-level integration with Scala's presentation compiler called "Ensime" on package control. We have already implemented on-the-fly error highlighting, completion and go to definition. I hope after the release of Scala 2.10.0-final I'll get some time to work on stabilization. You guys could help as well. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but that was a very good chance to speak up. If you're interested, let's discuss at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8736.
xeno.by

Postby sublimator on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks :) I don't really code in java ATM (was doing droid app) let alone Scala

Though Scala mentioner will surely enjoy
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby Dude on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:17 pm

john_ferrier wrote:I guess Jon is trying to sell his company.

I really hope he won't sell the project and this is just a joke :)
Big companies often mess up superb software...
Dude

Postby john_ferrier on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Dude wrote:
john_ferrier wrote:I guess Jon is trying to sell his company.

I really hope he won't sell the project and this is just a joke :)
Big companies often mess up superb software...

This is the thing most likely to happen in the future for ST (Similar thing happened many times in SV in the past decade).
john_ferrier

Postby pier on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:36 pm

john_ferrier wrote:This is the thing most likely to happen in the future for ST (Similar thing happened many times in SV in the past decade).

Excuse my ignorance... but what is SV?
pier

Postby jsuter on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:22 pm

pier wrote:
john_ferrier wrote:This is the thing most likely to happen in the future for ST (Similar thing happened many times in SV in the past decade).

Excuse my ignorance... but what is SV?

I believe he's referring to Silicon Valley.
jsuter

Postby jbrooksuk on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:09 am

jsuter wrote:I believe he's referring to Silicon Valley.

I thought Jon was from Australia...?
jbrooksuk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion