Sublime Forum

Sublime Editor:

I am new to learning html5, php, css, and javascript and I work on a mac and the textedit did not support .hmtl onlt .rtf.
so a forum member from W3schools gave the link for Sublime. I have installed it and tried to use it, but am having trouble
getting understanding how it works. I am unable to save my work, I don’t see any options for settings or menu options.
What am I missing? :question:

Thank you,

Duane

0 Likes

Happy to try to help, but slightly confused. The drop down menus should exist in the same place as other applications on the operating system (which is generally at the top). To save, were you looking for a menu for it (thus leading to the issue of being unable to save your work)? The more information you give, the more we can help.

0 Likes

You might want to have a look at Brackets when you are completely new to web development:
net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools … -brackets/

It’s an “easier” editor than sublime.

0 Likes

[quote=“ElectronicWar”]You might want to have a look at Brackets when you are completely new to web development:
net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools … -brackets/

It’s an “easier” editor than sublime.[/quote]

I don’t think that I would recommend Brackets as a first editor. It’s still in relatively early development and probably requires a few steps to get up and running. Notepad++ or Komodo Edit :sunglasses: would be my first recommendation. Komodo Edit requires next to no set-up for HTML/CSS/JS.

Nothing wrong with ST though :sunglasses: but I appreciate that for an absolute beginner the lack of a UI for settings will be a little daunting.

0 Likes

I learned HTML, CSS, and JS the hard way: using windows notepad (which is a text editor with no features whatsoever). I didn’t do it on purpose… truth is I was very ignorant, and there weren’t so many tools available 15 years ago.

I would recommend that experience for a few months to anyone learning how to code. Of course a more modern simple text editor is recommended, not notepad… It sounds counterproductive, but I insist it is a learning method, not a working method.

1. You will stimulate your concentration
  2. You will stimulate your memory
  3. … and your typing skills will probably increase too

That means lots of brain gymnastics and frustration… but the brain is by far the most important tool a programmer has.

Wax on, wax off.

0 Likes

Just programmers? Not Lawyers or Accountants…?

0 Likes

[quote=“agibsonsw”]

Just programmers? Not Lawyers or Accountants…?[/quote]

I wouldn’t know… :smile:

0 Likes