Sublime Forum

Suggestion/Question: NERDTree like project pane/popup

sometimes i miss a project pane that works like NERDTree (flickr.com/photos/30496122@N ā€¦ 4/sizes/o/).

the current project pane/popup is really great when you know your project. you can find files fast and without many keystrokes and i really like it.

however i think that it removes the visual logical structure a tree view can provide at first glance.

for me this is especially true with new projects or bigger framework that i donā€™t know inside out.

maybe iā€™m alone on this?

0 Likes

No, you arenā€™t. :smile: This in combination with multi selectable files would be awesome.

0 Likes

+1!

0 Likes

I agree. That was the first thing I noticed missing when I first fired it up. I even went looking to see if someone created a ā€˜project filesā€™ plugin / mod.
Iā€™m not used to the ā€˜open file in projectā€™ format yet. I like that I can type below the list and have it limit the list, but for larger projects (100s of files) thatā€™s a nasty looking screen no matter how you search it :smile:

I do love sublime though. Well Done !

Thanks !
-Jon

0 Likes

I emailed Jon about how soon a project tree would arrive and was surprised to learn itā€™s actually not on the roadmap whatsoever. No reason given.

So those who have expressed interest in one, thereā€™s some cold water on this ā€œfeatureā€ request (feature in quotes since itā€™s less a feature than an essential element of any editor).

Insert sadface.

0 Likes

Aw, i already thought so :frowning:. damn.

0 Likes

The author is not against the project pane: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=959&start=10#p4146
Itā€™s just not currently on priority. Letā€™s hope this thread will help him rethink his position on this matter :smile:

0 Likes

To be honest I was resilient to the idea of using the project quick panel at first, and like most of you felt that a project tree was essential. Wellā€¦ After a few months of use I donā€™t feel the need for a project tree anymore, to the contrary Iā€™m totally in love with the speed at which I can search/open files. Not only itā€™s fast and perfectly usable (I bound it to something that didnā€™t require two hands to trigger it though: alt+f), but it frees up real estate on the screen that would otherwise be used for something that is of interest during maybe 2% of the time I spend coding.

Seriously guys, give it a shot. A project manager might even come some day, I hope Iā€™ll just be able to fully disable/hide it, cause I tell you: Iā€™m not going back to that!

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œburnā€]To be honest I was resilient to the idea of using the project quick panel at first, and like most of you felt that a project tree was essential. Wellā€¦ After a few months of use I donā€™t feel the need for a project tree anymore, to the contrary Iā€™m totally in love with the speed at which I can search/open files. Not only itā€™s fast and perfectly usable (I bound it to something that didnā€™t require two hands to trigger it though: alt+f), but it frees up real estate on the screen that would otherwise be used for something that is of interest during maybe 2% of the time I spend coding.

Seriously guys, give it a shot. A project manager might even come some day, I hope Iā€™ll just be able to fully disable/hide it, cause I tell you: Iā€™m not going back to that![/quote]

+1 I too loved the ā€œproject treeā€ that I loved in pretty much all my editors Iā€™ve usedā€¦ notepad++, netbeans, zend studio, e-texteditor, vim, emacs, etcā€¦ but then sublime came and show me the light :smiley: never going back now! and if I need to browse, totalcmd is one shortcut/click away

0 Likes

jps, whatā€™s your price ā€¦ for a nerdtreealike project foo pane? :smile:

0 Likes

Iā€™m with EJ12N and Burn on this one.

I used to work in Visual Studio, then one day I started using SlickEdit (at a new job). SlickEdit has a very similar functionality, which everyone at my previous job used.
Ever since I started using it, Iā€™ve never felt much need for a project panel.

On the contrary: Almost every editor Iā€™ve ever used doesnā€™t have a quick panel, which is so important to me (especially for large projects) that I abandon most other editors. This is one of the reasons I love Sublime so much.

That said, I suppose a project panel which slides in and out of the left side of the screen wouldnā€™t be all bad.
The way I picture it, it would look like most editorā€™s project panel, except it would have a quick-search field at the top which works the same as ā€œOpen file in projectā€. That way, you get the best of both worlds, and people who havenā€™t seen the light yet get a chance to learn about this great feature.

0 Likes

I agree +1 :smiley:

0 Likes