Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 2 extremely slow over SSH/X11 Forwarding

Sublime Text 2 performs extremely slowly when working remotely over SSH with X11 forwarding.

This was tested by SSH’ing into a Linux(Debian 6) box from a Windows box with Putty and compression both enabled and disabled. Both machines are on the LAN.

The most noticable time this occurs is when typing and closing/opening tabs. There is a big delay between typing and the text appearing on screen. When closing or creating a tab the animation is choppy.

Tested Build: 2139

N.B. Both Chrome (Chromium) and Firefox (Iceweasel) are performant over the same connection, ruling out a connection issue.

0 Likes

For clarification this is using Xming as the X server on Windows.

See: straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

0 Likes

I’m experiencing the same issue – when tunnelling xwindows over ssh, Sublime2 runs VERY slowly. Other apps (chrome, eclipse, gedit) do not run slowly over the same connection. Most notable is the response time when typing; there is a noticeable delay in response when typing.

0 Likes

I have also been experiencing this issue. Using Xming from an Ubuntu server ST2 is extremely slow becoming very frustrating to use. Other apps (such as gedit) are very responsive

0 Likes

Why not use rsub to edit the remote file in your local ST2 installation?

0 Likes

I followed these directions for speeding up SSH tunnels, and the result was much more usable.

miscdebris.net/blog/2007/06/ … orwarding/

0 Likes

I tested sublime 2 trough nomachine NX, x11 forwarding (xming and cygwin), also with suggestions from miscdebris.net/blog/2007/06/ … orwarding/ and not found solution, comfortable for work. I think this because of animations. Is there any way to disable all animations?

0 Likes