Sublime Forum

Package control

If you want to explore the list of packages in that way (without searching) I’d say the best way would be using the Wbond website. They created Package Control. You will be browsing a list too… but it should be more pleasant.

wbond.net/sublime_packages/community

Package Control in ST is only a means of finding, installing, and managing packages. It’s not a GUI for browsing… and I’d bet it will never be.

Well you can… and also disable, update, remove. etc. Press super+shift+p and then write “package” to see all commands from Package Control.

0 Likes

I had to put, so much effort into reading the previous post, that I stopped reading.

0 Likes

@tito, I couldn’t get through it either…

0 Likes

I didn’t get through the post either but here is a reply based on what I picked up: In short, I completely disagree! a) The website is awesome (also super nice design), b) the ST2 quick pick panel is also awesome! I just love it! One of the best things in ST2. By the way, it’s not designed to scroll through a long list. Just type in a couple of letters and you get a reduced list. Super fast and convient!

0 Likes

Mark4th, stop ranting.

You don’t HAVE to use Package Control. If you prefer you can manually create local repositories from github, or manually download the folders and copy them to your machine. Maybe then you will appreciate how useful Package Control is.

Yes it’s true, Package Control could have a much more intuitive and nice looking GUI… but what would be the point in polishing something which already works and is not one of the most used features?

I have been coding for 15 years in many languages, and Sublime Text is the less intuitive but most powerful text editor I have ever used. But I love it, and I believe it’s by far the best option ever. If you believe you cannot adapt to working wit it, there are plenty of slower, less powerful, and more GUI oriented options for you.

0 Likes

I’m always open to constructive criticism and feature suggestions. The place where all of these are tracked is github.com/wbond/sublime_package_control/issues.

Unfortunately, there are so many users of PC, plus so many different issues, that I can’t do it all in my free time. I try to do as much as I can, but I don’t get paid to work on PC, so I have a full time job, plus a family to spend my time with. This includes things like dealing with add new packages, fixing bugs in PC, managing the channel server, dealing with website issues. Kevin Yank has been the first person to step in and really contribute a lot - he basically is handling reviewing all of the requests to add new packages now.

Because of the sheer scope of it, and the finite amount of time I have, the best way to make improvements to package control is:

1. Jump in and start a discussion about what they think should be changed/improved

2. Get other people to weigh in

3. Once there seems to be a path forward, write the code

As for the suggestion of a floating window for package management: if you can successfully build a package that provides cross-platform GUI extensibility to ST, the community would LOVE that! I know some people have played around with PyGTK, but that is pretty rough on Windows and OS X from what I recall. Really, with Sublime Text you have just a few options for interaction:

• An editor buffer - plain text with colors, all manual keyboard and mouse interaction. My SVN package uses this for selecting files to operate on.

• The quick panel - what PC currently uses for searching package names. Also used for the ST2 command palette.

• Input panel - the text input that PC uses to add the URL for a new repository.

The only way that you could come close to getting the type of interface you want is to use the editor buffer, but then you lose the easy search and select functionality of the quick panel. It would be great to add some more batch type operations - there is a request at github.com/wbond/sublime_packag … issues/157. If you want to spend some time thinking about that and suggest a UI and how it would work, I imagine things could start moving forward on it.

0 Likes

just wow

0 Likes

Kudos to wbond for a very level headed reply to a troll-ish rant from a spoiled user. Keep up the great work!

0 Likes