Sublime Forum

What new features are coming?

Yeah, sublime text with really good intelligent refactoring/navigation tools would be amazing.

It’s really incredible what you can do with Eclipse and Java if you can tolerate the slowness and horrible low level editing.

Scala is super Java by the sounds. Surely IDEs don’t need to be as slow as all that?

I could definitely live without most of persistent views like ‘outline views’ in favour of ‘nothing but the code’

0 Likes

if Jon sells to either Microsoft or Eclipse ill NEVER be buying any upgrades from them. ive never seen a single microsoft product that was worth a damn SPECIALLY their not IDE, and Eclipse is one of the single worst (badly designed, badly implemented, badly interfaced) pieces of software ive ever been forced to use. EVERY key press was sheer agony (only slightly worse than netbeans).

THIS editor just blows my mind. If Jon sells it at all it will degrade into a bloated pile of “make it do everything and who cares about the bugs or speed” horse manure. NOBODY will put their heart and soul into it the way he has.

if you are not offered at least 20 million dont take it jon!

0 Likes

There exists a beta-level integration with Scala’s presentation compiler called “Ensime” on package control. We have already implemented on-the-fly error highlighting, completion and go to definition. I hope after the release of Scala 2.10.0-final I’ll get some time to work on stabilization. You guys could help as well. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but that was a very good chance to speak up. If you’re interested, let’s discuss at SublimeScala - IDE-like features for Scala.

0 Likes

Thanks :smile: I don’t really code in java ATM (was doing droid app) let alone Scala

Though Scala mentioner will surely enjoy

0 Likes

I really hope he won’t sell the project and this is just a joke :smile:
Big companies often mess up superb software…

0 Likes

[quote=“Dude”]

I really hope he won’t sell the project and this is just a joke :smile:
Big companies often mess up superb software…[/quote]

This is the thing most likely to happen in the future for ST (Similar thing happened many times in SV in the past decade).

0 Likes

Excuse my ignorance… but what is SV?

0 Likes

[quote=“pier”]

Excuse my ignorance… but what is SV?[/quote]

I believe he’s referring to Silicon Valley.

0 Likes

I thought Jon was from Australia…?

0 Likes

C++ is often used in places it shouldn’t, but for ST2 it was a major win.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

I thought Jon was from Australia…?[/quote]

Yes, SV=Silicon Valley.
I know Jon is Australia, but look at what happened in the past: small companies, with some brilliant ideas or pieces of softwares…, I don’t think living in Australia makes any difference.

0 Likes

I believe Notepad++ was built on C++. I was reading that C++ was supposedly in decline, as it hasn’t kept
pace with other languages?

Apologies, as I appreciate this a little off topic. Andy.

0 Likes

[quote=“agibsonsw”]I was reading that C++ was supposedly in decline, as it hasn’t kept
pace with other languages?[/quote]

That’s what the proponents of “other languages” want you to believe. C++ is alive and well and growing.

0 Likes

And also with the new C++11 standard the features for things like threading are actually better than the parallels in languages like Java (at least, from what I’ve seen so far).

I can see why people outside specific domains like systems programming and games dev were moving away from it before but C++11 has really brought it up to par again.

I think there’s often a lot of confusion about that whole “keeping pace” thing, as well. C++ can’t keep pace with modern high-level languages and it wasn’t meant to. The fact that someone actually has to work out how to convert these specified features into the assembly language of many, many different architecture families (lots of which have extremely basic instruction sets) directly restricts how complicated C++ can become. Its own development is implicitly linked to the development of more complicated and capable CPUs. Not to mention the other complicating factors like the multi-paradigm design and the fact that the STL focuses as much on efficiency guarantees as on features.

0 Likes

Well, according to TIOBE the interest in C++ (and Java) has been falling during the last decade.

tiobe.com/index.php/content/ … index.html

0 Likes

TIOBE is skewed in terms of C languages though. I believe it gives a false impression about C/C++. In particular, there aren’t as many C programmers as it indicates: try searching ‘c’ :wink:

0 Likes

Also TIOBE is not based on real usage, but only in the interest in a language through web searches. That’s why I quoted where they get their numbers from… AFAIK there’s not a better way to measure how successful a language is. If we had real data like how many programmers work in each language… but that is simply impossible.

The other source is Langpop which is also based on number of web searches, although I think it measures the whole data, not monthly data like TIOBE.

langpop.com/

0 Likes

Since this is now a programming forum, I’d like to link to hammerprinciple.com/therighttool which is kind of a research amongst programmers on which languages are good for what.

0 Likes

My guess based on the recent spam flood:
Jon has stopped working on ST and is now in the kitchen business :wink:

0 Likes

I’d personally prefer to see the many flaws in the core content fixed before new features are added. The inconsistencies in the bundled syntax definitions are maddening (for example, I can colour the assignment operator in Python but not in C++, what the hell is that about?) The bugs and incompleteness of the syntax definitions are also annoying. And the documentation is really lazy. Basically I’m a fan of getting what you have so far working properly before moving onto new features.

0 Likes