Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Built-in FTP

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby ArtDesire on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:45 pm

iamntz wrote:Do you have one good reason for this?

Please don't ask me & don't try to persuade me :D
It's more more convenient for me.
So can I use git with files on web-server, if so, how?
ArtDesire
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby svenax on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 pm

ArtDesire wrote:
iamntz wrote:Do you have one good reason for this?

Please don't ask me & don't try to persuade me :D
It's more more convenient for me.
So can I use git with files on web-server, if so, how?


So, if you make a mistake, the web site goes down? At least I hope you are doing this for yourself and not for someone else.

Anyways, to answer your question - with git you would work and test your site locally. When everything is good you issue the command 'git push' and that updates the site. It is a little bit more involved than that, but nothing too hard.
svenax
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby SeanWcom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 am

If you insist on working directly with the remote files, then Git won't help you - at least not easily. As I mentioned earlier, there are steps you need to take BEFORE learning Git. The first step is to learn how to setup a local development instance. If you aren't willing to do that, then I wouldn't bother with Git yet. Just make sure your server makes backups often. :)
Multiple selections... one of my favorite ST2 features. View some noob-friendly screen casts here.
SeanWcom
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:31 am
Location: Georgia

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby ArtDesire on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 am

svenax wrote:So, if you make a mistake, the web site goes down? At least I hope you are doing this for yourself and not for someone else.

yep, you're right. :D
SeanWcom wrote:If you insist on working directly with the remote files, then Git won't help you - at least not easily. As I mentioned earlier, there are steps you need to take BEFORE learning Git. The first step is to learn how to setup a local development instance. If you aren't willing to do that, then I wouldn't bother with Git yet. Just make sure your server makes backups often. :)

The main reason why I want to work remotely is I don't like huge apps like wamp & it's too hard to setup my site locally(I've made my own CMS), often I make changes in server configuration.
Sometimes I even won't be able to check my site locally, because It uses many API's which listen to some queries from another servers.
ArtDesire
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby iamntz on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 am

I don't like huge apps like wamp & it's too hard to setup my site locally(I've made my own CMS)

My xampp folder has about 1.2Gb. Half of this is mysql data, a quart of this are logs. Considering the cost of the storage today, this is not huge at all, not even for a SSD. So this argument is not valid.

Hard to setup? Download, extract, done.
If your own CMS is hard to setup, probably you did something wrong.

At the end of the day i just hope you realize that your workflow is the problem. Not N++, not sublime not any other editor...
iamntz
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Romania

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby habsi70 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 pm

I am new to ST2 and really like it. I immediately bought it after a short testing period. I am developing Web-Projects on a Zope Server.

To develop in Zope even on a local installation, the most convenient way ist to do this via ftp. I bought the sftp plugin, which is big help. But to be able to have ftp
folders in the sidebar would be most helpful. I agree when developing in PHP for example it is easiest and best to use wammp or xammp. But to have ftp in an editor
should be imo a standard feature.

Happy new year btw :)
habsi70
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby anakinjay on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 pm

I struggle with the answers provided here. I understand git, I understand the obvious benefits of code versioning with it, not deploying buggy software to a live server, etc... I get it. I want it. It sounds great -on paper- but I've never found a good way to actually -use- it because of databases.

I'm not going to pull down a 2gb SQL database as part of a git pull every time I start to develop. And when working with CMS frameworks like drupal, wordpress, joomla, etc... the database structure of those changes almost everytime there's a core or module update (which is often.) So just doing the download ONCE and using that for developing against is not an option. Setting up something complicated like a sql replication system to your local workstation is not only silly, but would be an interesting conversation with your IT staff at work as to why you need to open your SQL ports on your local workstation to the internet.

I spent months trying to find some kind of git workflow working where every time I saved a file in an IDE it pushed it to the server with git so that I could test, and when I was finished commit it to version control. Everywhere I looked for help, I kept getting the same answer:

"Git is not a deployment tool"
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9619 ... git-github )

In the end I settled on editing files directly over SFTP and committing gits on the server via remote desktop once I was happy with the results. It's FAR from an ideal solution, but it was only one that I could figure out that is manageable.

Because of this, lack of good SFTP support is what has stopped me from purchasing sublime text because I love every other aspect of it. If anyone has a better solution for me, I'm all ears... but saying "if you're editing remotely, you're doing it wrong" and using that as a basis to not have a feature that 95% of all other IDEs use is a bit narrow minded.
anakinjay
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby TheKrieg on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:52 am

FTP sounds like an amazing addition to the program to me! :D Hope to see it in SLT2 or maybe SLT3!
TheKrieg
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 am

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby iamntz on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 am

@anakinjay: there are pretty rare situation when you will always need a full sql dump. Most of the time few entries would be enough (like, let's say, 20-30 posts). I develop this way for about 2 years or so (before that i also used to work on ftp, but loosing about 2 weeks work was good enough to make me to do the switch)

Btw, this tool looks interesting: http://dbv.vizuina.com/
iamntz
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Romania

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby ArtDesire on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 am

anakinjay wrote:I struggle with the answers provided here. I understand git, I understand the obvious benefits of code versioning with it, not deploying buggy software to a live server, etc... I get it. I want it. It sounds great -on paper- but I've never found a good way to actually -use- it because of databases.

I'm not going to pull down a 2gb SQL database as part of a git pull every time I start to develop. And when working with CMS frameworks like drupal, wordpress, joomla, etc... the database structure of those changes almost everytime there's a core or module update (which is often.) So just doing the download ONCE and using that for developing against is not an option. Setting up something complicated like a sql replication system to your local workstation is not only silly, but would be an interesting conversation with your IT staff at work as to why you need to open your SQL ports on your local workstation to the internet.


Wow, someone understand me! :D
Although I'm not gonna use git to store files remotely(not web-server), I wanted to have file history & update files on web-server every time.
ArtDesire
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron