Sublime Forum

JSON for all configuration files?

Is moving to JSON for all the configuration files on the development roadmap? It sure would make things easier than having some in JSON and some as PLIST (XML).

0 Likes

AFAIK, all configuration files shows as JSON, and then converts to PList.

0 Likes

You can start with a JSON file and convert it to PLIST, but it has to be PLIST to work and it’s a pain editing PLISTs (or converting them back and forth to JSON).

0 Likes

Not to sound overly pedantic, but I believe all configuration is via JSON. The only XML I know of is syntax definitions and colors schemes, which use Textmate-compatible XML so that Sublime Text users can take advantage of the large collection of those available online.

For syntax definitions, I believe you can use AAAPackageDev (github.com/SublimeText/AAAPackageDev) to convert JSON syntax definitions to the XML necessary for run-time usage. I imagine you could do the same for color schemes.

0 Likes

Of course, some people like myself would rather not see JSON anywhere except in more or less flat configuration files. I find it totally unintelligible for all but the simplest files with minimal embedding depth.

0 Likes