Sublime Forum

When will the sublime text 3 be ready?

The developer (Jon) has made a comment or two that he is working on updates for sublime so I’m sure its not dead. I think its just a stable release and there hasn’t been a new feature release yet.

0 Likes

The usual canned answer would be “when it’s ready and not before”

As a software engineer I truely appreciate the work Jon does and am in awe of his skills. If he does not do any releases for the next 5 years because of what ever “major update” he is working on im not going to lose any sleep over it. ST2 in it’s current incantation is the single best editor I have ever used. Jon will release the next installment when he feels it is ready for general consumption. This could be next week or it could be 5 years from now.

I myself put aside a project because i burned out working on it. For the past few years I would try dive back in and almost instantly lose focus. ST2 has revived my “get up and go” and I am now working on it full time once again.

I am positive I will love what ever changes he is working on and even though I only just registered quite recently, if the next release is ST3 I for one will be upgrading (i hope it has virtual spaces tho :smile:.

0 Likes

[quote=“toplinuxsir”]The project is dead ?
When will the next realease of sublime text be ready ?[/quote]

Come on now. The stable SublimeText 2.0 was released just six months ago and has seen one update since then. How often should it be updated to not be considered dead?

We could compare to another popular editor, where version 1.5 was released seven years ago and is still the current version (admittedly with many minor updates). Version 2 of that one is in alpha mode and has been so for at least three years. Compared to that, development of SublimeText is moving at breakneck speed.

0 Likes

I recently watched an amazing documentary called Indie Game on NetFlix and it really gives you a real world perspective of soloist/duo’s hectic life while they slave years of their lives building games, this is no different then what Jon has done IMHO. Though going Rogue like Allan Odgaard would not be ideal, but give Jon some slack, for all we know he’s slaving on ST3 or taking a much needed break before getting knee deep back into ST.

On a positive note Jon has not given us any false promises, though silence or get it when it’s done can be frustrating it will never save face and false promises only lead to infuriated customers. So with that said enjoy ST2 as it’s an amazing piece of software.

0 Likes

Stable except for the couple of crashes every day when some other app causes an integrated <-> discrete graphics chip switch on my retina mbp :smile:
I’ll get around to sending jps a stack trace one of these days.

0 Likes

Oh so this is why sublime often closes itself when I close firefox!! (I also have a 15-inch rmbp)

Also speaking of problems, some time ago, shortly after I installed the latest graphics driver, sublime started hangling when I select text using mouse in certain areas of views. The simplest scenario that leads to a hang, is pressing Command+F, typing something and then selecting that something with mouse going from the last letter to the first one and then further to the left. As soon as the cursor leaves the boundaries of the text box, Sublime gets fried consuming 100% cpu until I kill it. No idea whether this is called by the driver update or it’s some plugin auto-updated through PackageControl. Maybe this sounds familiar?

Upd. Found the culprit. The code as simple as the three lines provided below deterministically hangs Sublime on my laptop:

class FooListener(sublime_plugin.EventListener):
  def on_selection_modified(self, view):
    view.settings().set("foo", None)
0 Likes

Yeah, I reported something similar for on_selection_modified back in october

0 Likes

I’m on a rMBP as well and noticed a few days the Anywhere window was coming to a crawl, typing and scrolling in the Anywhere window was locking up. Had to restart OS X 10.8.2 as restarting ST2 didn’t fix it. Only happened once so it could have been something else causing ST2 to crawl. Other then that I’ve not had many issues on the Retina. The only thing that has been somewhat sluggish is selecting, but I’m sure that’s due Jon writing his own selection engine instead of using CoreText or something. Other then that I’ve not had a ST2 hard crash since 2 went stable.

0 Likes

Yikes. I was looking forward to getting an rMBP and being super productive on it with ST2.

0 Likes

Off topic but since a lot of people are mentioning that they have rMBPs, are any of you experiencing image retention? It’s becoming more and more noticeable on my rMBP and was wondering if anyone had experience with getting a replacement screen from apple.

0 Likes

At least Apple is admitting that they have a problem. Not.

0 Likes

I have the 13" and it’s fantastic. No discrete card so the graphics can’t switch! :smile: (Never thought I’d be excited about the lack of discrete graphics…)

0 Likes

Disabling GPU hardware acceleration in firefox should fix the problem as well :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

I had that same issue with mine, took to a local authorized Apple service center and they instantly knew of the problem. Dropped it off right when they opened and picked it up right after lunch the next day. They told me Apple switched to an only Samsung part number due to the LG screens having the retention issue, like the one I just had repaired. The Samsung screen was perfect, but a little heads up, LG screens tend to be very cool where as Samsung tend to be warmer, I prefer a warmer screen.

I’m just as productive on my rMBP as I was on my 13 Air, I find my increased productivity was due to SSD not some magical machine. Sometimes I do wish I bought the 13 Retina as I have zero need for the dedicated graphics, and some apps force dedicated even on just battery.

0 Likes

You can use gfxCardStatus to make the OS always use the integrated GPU.

0 Likes

That’s good to hear. I read about some people having different experiences with Apple either refusing to replace the screen claiming the retention was “not that bad” or Apple replacing the screen with another LG screen only to get the same issue. Hopefully all goes well and they can replace it with no problems. Thanks.

0 Likes

Has any updates being released in the last 3-4 months? I’m sorry to say but no blog post, no twitter, no forum post and no new build points to a dead project. We have seen this with textmate and it seems the same.

0 Likes

An update will come out soon enough and the frothing will temporarily subside while you enjoy the fruits of another 500 hours of Jon’s labor. But again, the aching for fresh text editing meat will resurface and you’ll cry out “I’ve been abandoned with this software that has an unending free trial period and reasonable purchase cost!”

http://getfile4.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2010-05-05/nudDJGhxAcpIFwnhlsffmevmkjFzguscdunpCajznsGfoikCCbsjxlfnuFsl/the-entitled-user_72c.jpg.scaled500.jpg

0 Likes

I’ve already purchased ST2 and I do like it a lot, but, the complete lack communication of ANY kind is causing me to think it’s not a great idea to invest a ton of time learning an editor that’s closed source and maintained by 1 person. I don’t even really care about new versions or updates, it mostly works great for me as it is, I just would like to see some sign that the developer hasn’t just cashed in his chips. An editor is a big time investment for a developer.

0 Likes

Even if Sublime never got another update, it’s one of the best tools I’ve ever used… and I’d keep using it.

0 Likes