Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

on the edge of purchasing...

on the edge of purchasing...

Postby kegster on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:59 am

I really like Sublime Text 2, or maybe the idea of it. I was persuaded to use the program, but it's difficult to get what I want done. I'm not afraid to admit I currently use Dreamweaver (DW), but ONLY for the code editing. Literally, I use it nothing but for a text editor. Any other feature of that software is garbage to me (at least I don't use it). HOWEVER, there are a few things that are hard in transitioning to ST2. I already have DW, and don't mind spending $40, but I always end up going back to DW because of a few simple things.

I am using the Windows 64bit version. I would like to:

1. Know how to have REAL TIME syntax checking. In DW, basic PHP syntax (and other languages, including JS) worked flawlessly as I typed. Things like missing a bracket, or just simple string concatenation. if I type echo 'hello world'$myvar; it would immediately tell me (once I stopped typing) that there was a syntax error. I might add that I've tried various syntax plugins, and I have not gotten any to work.

2. When I am using Sublime, when I open a bracket [ or parenthesis ( it automatically closes it for me (well, it provides the closing bracket/parenthesis, and leaves the cursor between the brackets/parenthesis)... The problem is, if I am typing $var = $_POST['var']; it leaves me in the awkward position of having to use the arrow to move over and then place the semi-colon. Is there a way to prevent this, or maybe get it to close off the statement for me with ; ? Maybe something I am missing?

These are just two items. I am not sure the response I will get, but I am interested in these two items.
kegster

Re: on the edge of purchasing...

Postby weslly on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:27 am

kegster wrote:1. Know how to have REAL TIME syntax checking. In DW, basic PHP syntax (and other languages, including JS) worked flawlessly as I typed. Things like missing a bracket, or just simple string concatenation. if I type echo 'hello world'$myvar; it would immediately tell me (once I stopped typing) that there was a syntax error. I might add that I've tried various syntax plugins, and I have not gotten any to work.

https://github.com/SublimeLinter/SublimeLinter

kegster wrote:2. When I am using Sublime, when I open a bracket [ or parenthesis ( it automatically closes it for me (well, it provides the closing bracket/parenthesis, and leaves the cursor between the brackets/parenthesis)... The problem is, if I am typing $var = $_POST['var']; it leaves me in the awkward position of having to use the arrow to move over and then place the semi-colon. Is there a way to prevent this, or maybe get it to close off the statement for me with ; ? Maybe something I am missing?

You could do a snippet to add a semicolon everytime you close a bracket, but, what if this isn't the last statement of your line? You can also disable the auto-closing behaviour by adding this to your settings:
Code: Select all
"auto_match_enabled": false
weslly

Postby kegster on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:36 am

By PHP, I mean ANY language... can't get it to work.
kegster

Postby trentdecamp on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 am

For most things there are plugins to fill the gaps. Do you print much from DW? Believe it or not, you cannot print easily without a workaround...not sure why.
Beautiful editor for the most part though.
trentdecamp

Postby kegster on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Really? Well do you know of a plugin that lets me type a file name without a file extension when trying to OPEN a file?

Also, are you saying DW can't print well? Never tried haha.
kegster

Postby ElectronicWar on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:29 pm

kegster wrote:Really? Well do you know of a plugin that lets me type a file name without a file extension when trying to OPEN a file?

Press Ctrl+P to open the "Goto anything" console and type the filename. It will use fuzzy autocomplete with files in your current project folder (use open -> folder for that).
ElectronicWar

Postby mark4 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:05 pm

watch the perfect workflow videos linked on the support page here..

http://www.sublimetext.com/support

bottom link
mark4

Postby mwb1100 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 pm

kegster wrote:Also, are you saying DW can't print well? Never tried haha.

I think he's saying that ST2 doesn't print without workarounds/plugins, so if you print a lot from DW you should make sure you're OK with the ST2's lack of built-in print support.
mwb1100

Postby unphased on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 am

kegster wrote:2. When I am using Sublime, when I open a bracket [ or parenthesis ( it automatically closes it for me (well, it provides the closing bracket/parenthesis, and leaves the cursor between the brackets/parenthesis)... The problem is, if I am typing $var = $_POST['var']; it leaves me in the awkward position of having to use the arrow to move over and then place the semi-colon. Is there a way to prevent this, or maybe get it to close off the statement for me with ; ? Maybe something I am missing?

I think you are missing the bit where you simply type the closing square bracket. Just type it like you normally would and it automatically puts your cursor where it would have been.

Though, admittedly there is something psychologically backwards about this situation and I find myself trying to press the right-arrow far more often than I need to in this situation (which slows down productivity ever so slightly).
unphased

Postby agibsonsw on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 pm

I find the behaviour of ST-brackets much better than other editors. When I type the closing bracket (to move beyond it) ST always just over-writes it; in other editors it will sometimes over-write, but often introduce another closing-bracket: this is more error-prone.

Admittedly, I sometimes have to type a bracket twice in order to introduce a new one, but at least this behaviour is consistent.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.
agibsonsw

Next

Return to General Discussion