Sublime Forum

"goto anything" performance on retina panels

For anyone interested: github.com/quarnster/TTF. I havent figured out yet how to properly render triangles marked as tpos.z==+1.0 though.

0 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t realise you were already optimising to that level. I will do some further testing tomorrow when I’m back at my machine to see if it is in fact capping on CPU, but it honestly would not surprise me if it was an issue with the OS X graphics pipeline based on what I’ve been seeing so far.

0 Likes

Okay, on closer inspection it is definitely maxing a single core at a ratio of 80% ST2 20% WindowServer (roughly).

Here’s a sample when continuously scrolling: puu.sh/FILf
Out of curiosity I also did one for Safari 6, which makes use of QuartzCore instead of CoreGraphics: puu.sh/FIOY

Good luck on this one. Sublime already performs better than the other text editors I tried out there, but it would be amazing to see it be the first one to bring back smooth scrolling to coders using retina displays :).

0 Likes

That would indeed be awesome. I must say that scrolling in Chocolat is a little smoother.

0 Likes

I can confirm this exists on my retina MacBook Pro as well. No plug-ins installed. Full-screen mode is basically unusable at highest resolution.

0 Likes

Same issue here.
Just to add (since no one mentioned this before) there is no lag at all if I set resolution to native one (2880x1800) using SetResX.

UPD: sorry, no lag with “goto anything” repainting, but typing is still slow.

0 Likes

Anyone know if the current nightly build (2218) helps this “goto anything” lag on the retina display? I don’t normally install the nightly builds, but I might this time if this is fixed…

0 Likes

The nightly build does definitely improve performance, but it still isn’t perfect. It will probably make it perform to the point you can begrudgingly use it, if you’re as near as sensitive to this stuff as me :smiley:.

0 Likes

Cool, thanks. On the bright side, after using it all laggy-ish on the retina display for a while, plugging in an external display feels lightning fast. :smile:

0 Likes

I do my primary editing on my cinema display when I’m not on the move, yeah. It soothes the pain :wink:.

0 Likes

Experiencing this on a MBP Retina as well, swapped to the 2218 nightly which did improve a lot. What are the future plans for handling this? When will it be available in a stable version and can more improvement be expected? The snappyness of ST2 was one of the reasons of swapping to it, being like this makes me cry a bit inside :wink:

0 Likes

Just upgraded from 2219 to 2220 and performance with goto anything is still terrible when the Sublime window is on my retina display and silky smooth when I move it to my external (non-retina) display. Maybe not having the files actually load in the editor window as you type would resolve this? That seems to be the issue…

0 Likes

it’d unfortunately rather slow for me as well. (2.6ghz, 16gb, 512gb ssd, retina). i thought it was just plugins i had installed, but even starting from scratch it still gets bogged down :confused:

0 Likes

Build 2220, same symptoms. Works great when ST2 is on my external (non-retina) display, sluggish on my Retina display.

0 Likes

I’m seeing the same thing, but I’ve noticed that if I shrink the window performance comes back. I’m seeing slowdowns everywhere; typing, goto anything, dragging selections, scrolling, etc.

Window size appears to have a sweet spot based on total pixel area. When dragging a window edge, I can pretty much see when ST will work well, when the motion of the edge itself gets choppy everything else slows down too.

0 Likes

@joemaller Yeah, exactly the same here

0 Likes

I have this same problem, but interestingly I have two screens, one non-retina and one retina. If use Sublime on the Retina display it’s quite slow, there’s a delay after each keypress. If I drag it across to the other screen all the problems go away.

0 Likes

Fwiw, I’m seeing no slowdowns on a 13" mbp retina with build 2219 and dual monitor (one obviously non-retina), no matter which screen I put it on.

Using Soda Dark + Monokai Soda with quite a few packages running and quite a bit of use.

0 Likes

Same issue here, after I post a new post about this issue I got this thread. Looks like this is an old issue. ST2 goto anything lag on key pressing on my retina display, drag the window to external display and everything will become smoothly, very frustrating on retina display.

0 Likes

Problem solved for Soda and Soda Refined: Go to Anything lag on Retina Display.

0 Likes