Sublime Forum

Sublime not opening new files as tabs

Hi there! This may be a stupid issue but i couldnā€™t figure out how to solve it.
Basically this is the problem: i was coding then accidentally hit something on the keyboard and the tabs on the top with the names of the files(index.html, style.css etc) disappeared.

Now when i click on a file from the left sidebar it actually opens in the currently selected area of Sublime(iā€™m using the two colums layout) but i have to double-click it to make its ā€œtabā€ appear in the upper part of the screen. What should i do in order to get the things how they were when i first installed Sublime? Keep in mind iā€™ve already deleted all the packages, the package control, fully uninstalled the software and reinstalled it deleting every single folder on the pc before doing it including the one in AppData/Roaming/Sublime Text 2.

Since my english is not the best to explain this even better hereā€™s a screen. As you can see iā€™m seeing the ā€œstyle.cssā€ file in the window but thereā€™s no tab in the upper section of Sublime unless i click it twice. I know itā€™s stupid but as you know programming means switching files often and if i have to double the clicks for the whole time iā€™m using Sublime that starts to became a lot of wasted clicks :unamused:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9572/sublimep.png

0 Likes

You could just click once and start typing in the preview :wink:

0 Likes

You mean itā€™s not showing up until i write something in the window?

EDIT: if so, i would still love it to act as it did before, meaning it automatically opens the new tab whenever i click a file from the sidebar. I feel more comfortable with it :smiley:

0 Likes

Hereā€™s the setting youā€™re looking for:

[code] // Preview file contents when clicking on a file in the side bar. Double
// clicking or editing the preview will open the file and assign it a tab.
ā€œpreview_on_clickā€: true,

[/code]

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œadzenithā€]Hereā€™s the setting youā€™re looking for:

[code] // Preview file contents when clicking on a file in the side bar. Double
// clicking or editing the preview will open the file and assign it a tab.
ā€œpreview_on_clickā€: true,

[/code][/quote]

Thanks, iā€™ve tried but thatā€™s not the setting iā€™m looking for. Mine is on True already, if i put it to false i have to double-click to see the preview in the current work area, but thatā€™s already being done by Sublime. What is NOT working is that i have to doulbe click the file to make its tab appear near the tabs of the current files.

As you can see in the screenshot i clicked on the ā€œstyle.cssā€ file and have no correspondent tab, but the preview actually showed. To have the tab i have to double-click it, which is something i didnā€™t need to do before. Again it was something i pressed on the keyboard so do you guys know if thereā€™s a shortcut(or another parameter to change) in order to make it work again as it did? I mean clic kon the file once -> tabs opens(with preview of course, which is already working)?

0 Likes

Hm, Iā€™m pretty certain Iā€™ve always had to double-click to open a new tab. But then again I leave preview mode on.
Sorry I canā€™t be more help!

0 Likes

Iā€™m starting to have doubts now but iā€™m like 99,9% periodic sure i just clicked once to have the new tab appear.
Are you using Sublime on Mac or Windows? Iā€™m currently on the latest dev builds on Windows, and as i said iā€™m sure it was like that because when i first opened three files by clicking once on them and noticed there was only two tabs open of the files i already worked on i was like ā€œwhereā€™s my files :open_mouth: ?ā€

0 Likes

Iā€™m on a Macā€¦ maybe itā€™s different?

0 Likes

I found a friend of mine, also running Sublime on a Windows, online on the Facebook chat and asked him to check this for me. Found out he also needs to write something for the tab to show. I donā€™t know, maybe i was just mistaken but it seems strange that i found the non-opening tab SO weird considering i was sure of the contrary.

I think iā€™ll consider this issue ā€œsolvedā€ unless someone tells me iā€™m not crazy and his Sublime acts like mine. Anyway, thanks for the help :wink:

0 Likes

This is the indended way of doing things.
Single click previews the contents of a file
Double click to open a new tab

0 Likes

were you able to resolve this. if yes, can you post the solution. iā€™m facing exactly the same issue. single-click opened in new tabs earlier but now opens in the current tab.

0 Likes